Calculating Resistance for Charging a Battery Circuit Using Ohm's Law

In summary, the task is to modify the circuit so that the battery can be charged by the DC supply at a current of 10mA. The solution involves adding a resistor in parallel with the diode and using Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drop across the resistor, which would be 3V in order for the battery to drop 12 volts.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Make a modification so that the battery is charged by the DC supply at a current of 10mA

**See attached diagram**

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that I would put in a resistor in parallel with the diode. However, I don't know how I would solve for the resistance.

I'm assuming that I would use Ohm's law:

V=IR where I=10mA, and I don't know what the voltage drop across the resistor would be... would it be 3V so that the battery drops 12 volts?

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 5.04.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 5.04.32 PM.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
dancergirlie said:

Homework Statement

Make a modification so that the battery is charged by the DC supply at a current of 10mA

**See attached diagram**

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that I would put in a resistor in parallel with the diode. However, I don't know how I would solve for the resistance.

I'm assuming that I would use Ohm's law:

V=IR where I=10mA, and I don't know what the voltage drop across the resistor would be... would it be 3V so that the battery drops 12 volts?

Any help would be great!

Yes, that is correct.

thanks for confirming :D

1. How long does it take to fully charge a battery?

The charging time for a battery circuit can vary depending on several factors, including the type of battery, the charging method, and the state of charge of the battery. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several hours to fully charge a battery.

2. Can I overcharge a battery?

Yes, overcharging a battery can damage it and reduce its lifespan. It is important to monitor the battery while it is charging and stop the charging process once it is fully charged to prevent overcharging.

3. What is the best way to charge a battery circuit?

The best way to charge a battery circuit depends on the type of battery being used. Some batteries, such as lead-acid batteries, require a slow and steady charge, while others, like lithium-ion batteries, can handle a faster charge. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific battery being used.

4. Can I use any charger to charge a battery circuit?

No, it is important to use the correct charger for the specific battery being charged. Using the wrong charger can damage the battery and even cause it to overheat or catch fire. Always use the charger recommended by the battery manufacturer.

5. How often should I charge my battery circuit?

The frequency of charging a battery circuit depends on how often it is used and how quickly it discharges. It is generally recommended to charge a battery before it reaches a low state of charge, as frequent full discharges can shorten the battery's lifespan.