Distributing two bosons among four states

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of possible ways to distribute 2 particles among four energy states, with no restrictions on occupancy and distinguishable particles. The formula for distinguishable bosons is corrected to g^n. The manual enumeration method results in 16 possibilities, while the formula gives 10.
Mechdude

Homework Statement

calculate the possible number of ways of distributing 2 particles among four energy startes when:
particle are distinguishable and there is no restriction on the occupancy of the energy state

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{(n+g-1)}{n!(g-1)!} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

using the formula i get 10 ,
but on enumerating manually i get 16
since there will be four ways the two particles can go into the four states two at a time ,
then six ways they can go into t the four state one at a time , but since thy can be distinguished there's another six when they are interchanged ,
( 2 _ _ _ )
( _ 2 _ _ )
( _ _ 2 _ )
( _ _ _ 2 )

( a1 a2 __ __ )
(a1 __ a2 __ )
(a1 __ __ a2 )
(__ a1 a2 __ )
(__ a1 __ a2 )
(__ __ a1 a1)

these last six can be interchanged as i said tho get a total of 16.

i'm required to calculate this, but I am getting different results using the different methods what's up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bosons are indistinguishable, and so I think probably your equation there is for indistinguishable bosons.

my bad,
formula should have been
[tex] g^n [/tex]
thanks

1. How many ways can two bosons be distributed among four states?

There are 10 different ways that two bosons can be distributed among four states. This can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of bosons and r is the number of states.

2. Is there a difference between distributing two bosons and distributing two distinguishable particles among four states?

Yes, there is a difference. Bosons are indistinguishable particles, meaning that the order in which they are placed in the states does not matter. However, distinguishable particles have a specific identity and the order in which they are placed does matter.

3. Can two bosons be distributed among four states in a way that all states have one boson each?

Yes, it is possible for two bosons to be distributed among four states in a way that all states have one boson each. This is known as the "no occupancy" or "no double occupancy" rule.

4. How does the distribution of two bosons among four states relate to the concept of quantum statistics?

The distribution of two bosons among four states is an example of the application of quantum statistics. Bosons follow Bose-Einstein statistics, which allow multiple particles to occupy the same state. This is in contrast to fermions, which follow Fermi-Dirac statistics and do not allow for multiple particles in the same state.

5. Can the distribution of two bosons among four states be used to explain phenomena in real-world systems?

Yes, the distribution of bosons among states has real-life applications in various fields such as quantum computing, superconductivity, and Bose-Einstein condensates. Understanding how bosons behave and interact in different states can help us better understand and manipulate these systems.