Potential difference in circuit with battery, resistors, switch, capacitor

In summary, the current flowing through the battery immediately after the switch is closed will be equal to the current flowing through the battery long after the switch is closed. This is because in both cases, the capacitor will either act as a short circuit or not affect the circuit, causing the battery to have the same current flowing through it.
awertag

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown in the Figure, where R1 = 29 and R2 = 4.8 .

http://www.webassign.net/walker/21-44alt.gif

(a) Is the current flowing through the battery immediately after the switch is closed greater than, less than, or the same as the current flowing through the battery long after the switch is closed?
Explain.

(b) Find the current flowing through the battery immediately after the switch is closed.

(c) Find the current in the battery long after the switch is closed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost on this. I'm sorry, but I don't even know how to begin. I hope you'll consider helping me anyway. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Immediately after the switch is closed (at time 0+) the capacitor is still uncharged, and "looks like" a short circuit for all intents and purposes. You must have discussed this in class.

Similarly, after a long time, the capacitor will have charged up to whatever maximum amount is dictated by the surrounding circuit elements; no more current will flow into (or out of) the capacitor. The circuit will behave as though the capacitor is not there. What's the voltage across where it's connected?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy per unit of charge that is transferred from one point to another.

2. How does a battery create potential difference?

A battery creates potential difference by using chemical reactions to separate positive and negative charges, creating a buildup of electric potential. When a circuit is connected, the charges flow from the positive terminal to the negative terminal, creating a flow of electricity.

3. What role do resistors play in potential difference?

Resistors are used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. They introduce a resistance to the flow of electricity, which in turn affects the potential difference. The higher the resistance, the lower the potential difference, and vice versa.

4. How does a switch affect potential difference?

A switch controls the flow of electricity in a circuit by either allowing or blocking the flow of current. When the switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows current to flow, resulting in a potential difference. When the switch is open, the circuit is broken and there is no potential difference.

5. What is the role of a capacitor in potential difference?

A capacitor is a device that can store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. When a potential difference is applied to a capacitor, it charges up and stores the energy. This stored energy can then be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit, resulting in a potential difference.