Particle travelling in magnetic field unit vectors

In summary, the force on a particle with charge -2.00 C moving at v = 1.00 i^hat + 7.00 j^hat encountering a magnetic field B = 60.00 k^hat T can be found using the equation F = Q (v x B). The cross product is calculated by setting up a matrix and expanding along the third row, resulting in a force of -840i + 120 j. The signs may appear reversed, but this is due to not taking into account the negative charge. Using the right hand rule accounts for this and confirms the calculated force.
bmxicle

Homework Statement

a particle with charge -2.00 C initially moves at v = 1.00 i^hat + 7.00 j^hat. If it encounters a magnetic field B = 60.00 k^hat T, find the force on the particle

Homework Equations

F = Q (v x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a matrix to find the cross product.

v x B = det i j k
1 7 0
0 0 60

If you expand along row three you get (-1)^(3+3) * (60) det i j
1 7

= 60(7i-1j)

===> F=(-2.0 C)(60)(7i - 1j) = -840i + 120 j

The answer i was given has the signs reversed, and i can't figure out why. I've tried it drawing diagrams too and i still got the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
bmxicle said:

Homework Statement

a particle with charge -2.00 C initially moves at v = 1.00 i^hat + 7.00 j^hat. If it encounters a magnetic field B = 60.00 k^hat T, find the force on the particle

Homework Equations

F = Q (v x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a matrix to find the cross product.

v x B = det i j k
1 7 0
0 0 60

If you expand along row three you get (-1)^(3+3) * (60) det i j
1 7

= 60(7i-1j)

===> F=(-2.0 C)(60)(7i - 1j) = -840i + 120 j

The answer i was given has the signs reversed, and i can't figure out why. I've tried it drawing diagrams too and i still got the same answer.

I think you're right. Whatever answer you were given probably did not take into account the negative charge.

Using the right hand rule (and then flipping your hand 180-deg because a negative particle) confirms your answer qualitatively.

thanks, i was wondering if that was the case.

1. What is the definition of a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of exactly 1 and is used to indicate direction. It is typically represented by a lowercase letter with a hat ( ̂ ) on top.

2. How is the direction of a particle travelling in a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a particle travelling in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then the direction of the particle's motion will be perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a charged particle travelling in a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the force on a charged particle travelling in a magnetic field is F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field affect the path of a charged particle?

The magnetic field causes a charged particle to experience a force, which changes the direction of its motion. This results in the particle following a curved path, instead of a straight line, as it travels through the magnetic field.

5. What is the unit for magnetic field strength?

The unit for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T). This unit is equivalent to N/A·m, where N is newton and A is ampere.