Is it possible to create an earthquake model

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about a project on seismology and tectonic plates. The goal of the project was to reduce the magnitude of P-S-L waves generated when tectonic plates collide. There was a query about whether it was possible to generate these waves in a controlled model. The group also discussed the challenges of injecting an aqueous solution between plates and the potential risks of triggering a larger earthquake. Various methods of simulating the effects of these waves were mentioned, including experiments using large sheets of materials and pumping fluids into faults. One member shared their personal experience with similar experiments done by the USGS. The conversation ended with a request for research papers or information on the topic.
Sherenon
Well i am researching on seismology and tectonic plates. My project hypothesis is related to reducing the magnitude of P-S-L waves that are generated when tectonic plates collide,create subduction zones etc.
for the project i have a choice of submitting a theoretical or real model.my query is that ... is it possible to generate spl waves in a controlled model as they are generated in real.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi Sherenon, so have you found anything for your project and how is it going on?

Pennington ma said:
Hi Sherenon, so have you found anything for your project and how is it going on?
theoretically its proved that we can reduce the pressure between plates,the real problem is the method by which we inject the aqueous solution and the conditions in which it may be possible to actually reduce the pressure of the plates in the real world.However since its a high-school project we will mostly stick to the theories and model.

As for the Earth quake model creating these waves in a room is out of the question.but i can stimulate the effects they would have on the surface of the Earth by some methods. we will post the project abstract soon and keep u updated on progress

Sherenon said:
theoretically its proved that we can reduce the pressure between plates,the real problem is the method by which we inject the aqueous solution and the conditions in which it may be possible to actually reduce the pressure of the plates in the real world.However since its a high-school project we will mostly stick to the theories and model.

actually its a little more than theory :) it has been played with in the field. pumping liquid into faults/fault zones has been proven to increase the number of smaller events thus summising that pumping enough liquid in over a period of time would produce enough smaller events to decrease the risk of a larger event.

The real worry/problem is... pumping fluid into a large fault such as the San Andreas fault in California, that you may well trigger the huge event that was not far from occurring anyway on that section of the fault.

A mining/drilling term call "fracking", rock fracturing by the pumping in of fluids to release hydrocarbons etc from many small pockets into a single larger reservoir (sp?) is often accompanied by many many small quakes. this has bee occurring recently a bit nth of Little Rock, AR, USA.

As for the Earth quake model creating these waves in a room is out of the question.but i can stimulate the effects they would have on the surface of the Earth by some methods. we will post the project abstract soon and keep u updated on progress

I have seen experiments done by the USGS and assoc institutions using large sheets of materials pressed together then stressed till they slid along their contact plane. The resulting vibrations recorded on geophones well resembled the P and S waves of an actual quake. The lower freq Love and Raleigh waves assoc with large, near surface quakes may be a bit more difficult to create in the lab. I may have been done, I'm personally not aware of it.

Dave

davenn said:
I have seen experiments done by the USGS and assoc institutions using large sheets of materials pressed together then stressed till they slid along their contact plane. The resulting vibrations recorded on geophones well resembled the P and S waves of an actual quake. The lower freq Love and Raleigh waves assoc with large, near surface quakes may be a bit more difficult to create in the lab. I may have been done, I'm personally not aware of it.

Dave
Are there any research papers or more detailed information about this process on the internet or anywhere else which can be used as reference for my project..
thankyou

Sherenon said:
Are there any research papers or more detailed information about this process on the internet or anywhere else which can be used as reference for my project..
thankyou

I don't know, quite possibly. you will have to do some searching. Note the first 5 words in my previous post... "I have seen experiments done ..."
I actually watched the experiments some 15 - 20 years ago.

cheers
Dave

hmmm in my email, I got a post from the forum, by a poster ... Avena... but their post isn't showing in the forum thread. Maybe a good thing is was a little rude and demanding ;)

I wonder if it was removed by the mod's ?

Dave

1. Can earthquakes be predicted with a model?

While it is not currently possible to accurately predict the exact time, location, and magnitude of an earthquake, scientists are working on creating earthquake models that can provide some level of prediction. These models use data and observations from past earthquakes to estimate the likelihood of future earthquakes in a particular area.

2. What factors are considered when creating an earthquake model?

Earthquake models take into account a variety of factors such as the geology and tectonic activity of a region, historical seismic data, and the movement of the Earth's plates. Other factors that may be considered include the presence of faults, the strength of the Earth's crust, and the type of rock and soil in a particular area.

3. Can an earthquake model accurately simulate the effects of an earthquake?

While earthquake models can provide valuable information and predictions, they are not able to perfectly simulate the effects of an earthquake. This is because there are many variables and uncertainties involved in the behavior of earthquakes, and it is difficult to accurately represent all of these in a model.

4. How can an earthquake model be used to improve building and infrastructure design?

By understanding the potential impact of earthquakes in a particular area, engineers can use earthquake models to design buildings and infrastructure that can better withstand seismic activity. This can include implementing strategies such as reinforced structures, flexible foundations, and shock-absorbing materials.

5. Are earthquake models only used for prediction and design purposes?

While earthquake models are primarily used for prediction and design purposes, they can also be used for other purposes such as risk assessment and emergency planning. By understanding the likelihood and potential impact of earthquakes in a specific area, communities can better prepare for and respond to seismic events.