Attempting a polyphasic sleep pattern

• Thread starter ecneicS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, polyphasic sleeping is when you break up your sleep into smaller sections throughout the day. You condition your body to naturally hit REM sleep right when you fall asleep so you get the restorative qualities of REM sleep yet you sleep only a fraction of what you would with one core sleep. This schedule is difficult to adhere to at first, but has benefits such as being able to stay awake for longer periods of time and being less likely to suffer from jet lag.
ecneicS
Polywhatawhosea? Polyphasic sleeping is when u break up your sleep into smaller sections throughout the day. You condition your body to naturally hit REM sleep right when u fall asleep so you get the restorative qualities of REM sleep yet you sleep only a fraction of what you would with one core sleep

. I am attempting this schedule and for the first few days will be completely sleep deprived. I am looking for mindless activities that are not physically or mentally burdening but at the same time engaging and can help me get my mind off sleep. What I have so far is..

Cleaning
Walking
Stretching
Playing video games (but which ones?)o
Guitar
Putting coins in coin sleeves (i have at least 1000 coins)

Let me know your ideas please!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, why are you wanting to do this?

Taking derivatives of simple polynomials?

Look at the clock and find the prime factorization of the time every minute. See how long you can keep up.

lisab said:
So, why are you wanting to do this?
Good question.

micromass said:
Look at the clock and find the prime factorization of the time every minute. See how long you can keep up.

And that, is why I was skeptical about posting this on a physics forum. Any real help?

1MileCrash said:
Taking derivatives of simple polynomials?

That's actually a good idea I misread it as a joke initially.

What you are attempting is not healthy.
Misconception 3: The body adjusts quickly to different sleep schedules.
The biological clock that times and controls a person’s sleep/wake cycle will attempt to function according to a normal day/night schedule even when that person tries to change it. Those who work night shifts naturally feel sleepy when nighttime comes. A similar feeling that occurs during travel is known as jet lag. (See Major Concepts, section 3.5.) This conflict, set up by trying to be active during the brain’s biological nighttime, leads to a decrease in cognitive and motor skills.

http://science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih3/sleep/guide/info-sleep.htm

1. What is a polyphasic sleep pattern?

A polyphasic sleep pattern is a sleep schedule where an individual takes multiple naps throughout the day, instead of one consolidated sleep at night. This is in contrast to the traditional monophasic sleep pattern where an individual sleeps for one continuous period at night.

2. Why would someone attempt a polyphasic sleep pattern?

People attempt polyphasic sleep patterns for various reasons, such as trying to increase productivity, have more waking hours in a day, or to reduce the total amount of time spent sleeping. Some claim that polyphasic sleep can also improve cognitive function and overall well-being.

3. Is a polyphasic sleep pattern healthy?

There is limited research on the long-term effects of polyphasic sleep patterns, so it is difficult to determine if it is healthy or not. Some studies have shown that it can lead to sleep deprivation and health issues, while others have shown potential benefits. It is important to consult with a medical professional before attempting a polyphasic sleep pattern.

4. How do I transition to a polyphasic sleep pattern?

Transitioning to a polyphasic sleep pattern can be challenging and should be done gradually. It is recommended to start by gradually reducing the amount of time spent sleeping during the night and gradually adding naps throughout the day. It is important to be consistent with the schedule and to listen to your body's needs.

5. Can anyone successfully adapt to a polyphasic sleep pattern?

Not everyone can successfully adapt to a polyphasic sleep pattern. Some individuals may naturally have a higher tolerance for shorter sleep periods, while others may struggle with sleep deprivation and health issues. It is important to listen to your body and to consult with a medical professional before attempting a polyphasic sleep pattern.