Renewable energy jobs with a BS in physics

In summary, the person is graduating with a BS in physics and is interested in finding a job related to renewable energy technology. They have previously considered going to grad school but are now looking for job opportunities. They have some technical experience in experimental physics but are not sure how it would apply to the renewable energy industry. Someone suggests volunteering or interning at a start-up solar energy company, where they worked for a year and gained various skills in data acquisition, coding, quality control, and testing. They believe their physics background was beneficial but not necessary for success at the company.
fhqwgads2005
Im graduating with a BS in physics, where I mostly focused on astrophysics. I'm looking to do something different after I graduate, not planning on grad school, at least for the time being. I'm interested in getting a job somehow related to renewable energy technology, and it would also be a plus if I could use my physics background in some way. I had previously been planning on the grad school --> academia route, so I'm not really sure how to start looking into this, or what type of job I could realistically get. Anyone have any experience in this field, especially with just a BS in physics, or know someone who does?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a co-op student pursuing my BS in physics right now and I worked for a year at a start-up solar energy company. If you want to get into that type of industry now is the time. Governments are offering up a lot of support right now to kick start that industry and there is a good chance that a lot of the companies are hiring. There has also been a pretty significant increase in efficiency of solar cells and decrease of cost over the past decade so things are looking bright (and I'm not talking about the reflections off of the panels).

In my opinion, the best way into an industry is to volunteer or intern at a company for 4 months or so. If its a start-up, you will start to acquire new tasks and responsibilities quickly, and they won't have anyone to pick those up from you after you leave. That is to say that they will probably hire you.

Do you have any work experience or course work in power plant engineering or process engineering?

edgepflow said:
Do you have any work experience or course work in power plant engineering or process engineering?

nope

dacruick said:
I'm a co-op student pursuing my BS in physics right now and I worked for a year at a start-up solar energy company. If you want to get into that type of industry now is the time. Governments are offering up a lot of support right now to kick start that industry and there is a good chance that a lot of the companies are hiring. There has also been a pretty significant increase in efficiency of solar cells and decrease of cost over the past decade so things are looking bright (and I'm not talking about the reflections off of the panels).

In my opinion, the best way into an industry is to volunteer or intern at a company for 4 months or so. If its a start-up, you will start to acquire new tasks and responsibilities quickly, and they won't have anyone to pick those up from you after you leave. That is to say that they will probably hire you.

Out of curiosity, what kind of work/responsibilities did you have? Did you feel like your physics background was a benefit? Looking around at listings from various renewable energy companies, every job I've seen requires either an engineering background or some technical background like electrician or contractor. I have some technical experience doing experimental physics work, but it's far from formal or extensive.

Last edited:
fhqwgads2005 said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of work/responsibilities did you have? Did you feel like your physics background was a benefit? Looking around at listings from various renewable energy companies, every job I've seen requires either an engineering background or some technical background like electrician or contractor. I have some technical experience doing experimental physics work, but it's far from formal or extensive.

I got my hands on a whole bunch of things. One of my main responsibilities was data acquisition for our test site, which required coding in python and some minor stuff in C. I did some quality control on an optical piece which did use some of my physics background. I did some certification testing, some hands on building of the odd project. My physics background was for sure a benefit, but not necessary for success at the company. I worked in the R&D department and even then I had a handful of tasks which were engineering related.

What are some examples of renewable energy jobs for someone with a BS in physics?

Some examples of renewable energy jobs for someone with a BS in physics include solar panel engineer, wind turbine technician, energy efficiency consultant, renewable energy project manager, and research scientist in renewable energy technology.

What skills and knowledge from a BS in physics are valuable in renewable energy jobs?

A BS in physics provides a strong foundation in mathematics, data analysis, and problem solving, which are all valuable skills in renewable energy jobs. Additionally, courses in thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism can be directly applied to renewable energy technologies.

Are there any specific certifications or additional training needed for renewable energy jobs with a BS in physics?

While not always required, there are several certifications and additional training programs that can enhance a physicist's qualifications for renewable energy jobs. These include certifications in specific renewable energy technologies, such as solar or wind, as well as training programs in energy efficiency and sustainable design.

What salary can someone with a BS in physics expect in renewable energy jobs?

The salary for someone with a BS in physics in renewable energy jobs can vary depending on the specific job and location. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists in 2020 was $96,830. Certain renewable energy jobs, such as project managers and research scientists, may have higher salaries.

What are some potential career advancement opportunities for someone with a BS in physics in the renewable energy industry?

There are many potential career advancement opportunities for someone with a BS in physics in the renewable energy industry. With experience and additional training, one could advance to positions such as senior engineer, project manager, or research director. There may also be opportunities to move into management or leadership roles within renewable energy companies.