A Unitary Matrix and Hermitian Matrix

In summary, a unitary matrix takes the form U=e^{iH}, where H is a Hermitian operator. To compute the matrix form of H, one can find the eigensystem of the unitary matrix and normalize the eigenbasis to find the matrix representation of H. This procedure can also be extended to non-diagonal matrices, where the Hermitian matrix takes the form H=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & i\theta \\ -i\theta & 0 \end{array}\right).
Demon117
Its true that one can say a unitary matrix takes the form

[itex]U=e^{iH}[/itex]

where [itex]H[/itex] is a Hermitian operator. Thats great, and it makes sense, but how can you compute the matrix form of [itex]H[/itex] if you know the form of the unitary matrix [itex]U[/itex]. For example, suppose you wanted to find [itex]H[/itex] given that the unitary matrix is one of the familiar rotation matrices (2 x 2) for simplicity. Let's say

[itex]U=\left(\begin{array}{cc} cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta) \end{array}\right)[/itex]

What would the procedure be in finding the matrix form of [itex]H[/itex]? I suppose you could start by finding the eigensystem of the unitary matrix. Then, upon normalizing the eigenbasis of [itex]U[/itex], somehow you could find the matrix representation of [itex]H[/itex]. Any pointers or suggestions would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you do it for diagonal matrices??

To extend it to nondiagonal matrices, notice that if [itex]D=e^{iH}[/itex], then

[tex]ADA^{-1}=e^{iAHA^{-1}}[/tex]

So after some fiddling I find that the appropriate Hermitian matrix takes the form

[itex]H=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & i\theta \\ -i\theta & 0 \end{array}\right)[/itex]

If this is indeed correct then I think I have what I need.

What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix in which the conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, the matrix multiplied by its conjugate transpose results in the identity matrix, and the matrix multiplied by its inverse also results in the identity matrix.

What is a Hermitian matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix in which the conjugate transpose is equal to the original matrix. In other words, the matrix is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that all the elements on the main diagonal are real numbers, and the elements above and below the main diagonal are complex conjugates of each other.

What is the difference between a unitary matrix and a Hermitian matrix?

The main difference between a unitary matrix and a Hermitian matrix is that a unitary matrix is equal to its inverse, whereas a Hermitian matrix is equal to its conjugate transpose. Additionally, a unitary matrix has complex numbers as its elements, while a Hermitian matrix has both real and complex numbers as its elements.

How are unitary and Hermitian matrices used in quantum mechanics?

Unitary and Hermitian matrices are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices represent quantum operations or transformations, while Hermitian matrices represent quantum observables. These matrices play a crucial role in understanding and solving quantum mechanical problems.

What are some real-world applications of unitary and Hermitian matrices?

Unitary and Hermitian matrices have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include quantum computing, signal processing, and quantum cryptography. They are also used in data compression and error correction codes, as well as in solving differential equations and optimization problems.