New type of 'disc-golf-disc' designed by jon potts

• Thread starter marley.wannabee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, Jon Potts is a researcher who is currently investigating the aerodynamics and control of disc-wings for disc golf. He has a dedicated research facility and is using experimental techniques to develop this new type of disc. The technology has potential applications beyond just disc golf and there are plans to manufacture and improve the discs in the future.
marley.wannabee
hey, this is a new type of 'disc-golf-disc' designed by jon potts

"He is currently investigating the aerodynamics and control of disc-wings using experimental techniques, based at the experimental fluids and aerodynamics facility, the Goldstein Research Laboratory."

i clipped the quote from his site...

http://www.discwing.com/research/index.html

I'm an advanced am disc golfer(used to moderate the theo physics forum here) and i bought the first 'disc-wing' disc ever released to the public(on ebay for charity... don't ask) and i'll tell you... this tech is really great. This tech seems to have very interesting applications besides that of "disc golf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
btw, I'm hopefully going to manufacture some discs myself... using a hand pour tek I'm workin on. If any of you experts get any ideas from the adobe files please hint me toward them. I am going to try to incorporate "golf ball type' dimples on the discs top surface. Also a softer plastik in the midsection to possibly facilatate more of a 'bullet shape' while the disc is in flight.

If i were to also add a slight 'fanlike' impression to the bottom of the disc that would create more lift would it not? Then i'd have to tweak the edge to offset the extra lift. I need to keep the lift at bay but at the same time... with the extra(possibly) lift from a fan impression and a tweaked edge couldn't i translate the lift into + distance?

Last edited:

Wow, thanks for sharing this information! I had no idea that there was someone actively researching and designing a new type of disc specifically for disc golf. It's really cool that Jon Potts is using experimental techniques and has a dedicated research facility for this project. I'm definitely intrigued by the potential applications of this disc-wing technology beyond just disc golf. I'll have to keep an eye out for any updates on his research and maybe even try out one of these discs myself. Thanks again for sharing!

1. What is the purpose of the new disc-golf-disc designed by Jon Potts?

The new disc-golf-disc designed by Jon Potts is intended to improve the performance and accuracy of players in the sport of disc golf. It is designed to have better flight characteristics and be easier to control compared to traditional discs.

2. How is the new disc-golf-disc different from traditional discs?

The new disc-golf-disc designed by Jon Potts has a unique shape and weight distribution that allows for a more stable and predictable flight path. It also has a textured surface for better grip and control.

3. What materials are used to make the new disc-golf-disc?

The new disc-golf-disc is made from a durable plastic material that is lightweight yet sturdy enough to withstand the impact of hitting trees and other obstacles on the disc golf course.

4. Will the new disc-golf-disc be approved for use in official disc golf tournaments?

The new disc-golf-disc is currently going through the approval process by the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA) and other governing bodies. Once approved, it will be allowed for use in official tournaments.

5. How can I purchase the new disc-golf-disc designed by Jon Potts?

The new disc-golf-disc will be available for purchase through select retailers and online stores once it is officially released. You can also contact Jon Potts directly for more information on purchasing the disc.