Evaluating heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder

In summary, to evaluate the heat transfer coefficient analytically, you will need to calculate the Reynolds and Prandtl numbers, and then use Nusselt's number. However, in Ansys CFX, you can directly get the HTC as an output by setting up a boundary condition on the surface of the cylinder.
Laurry
I'm doing a steady-state thermal analysis for a cylinder geometry.

Inside the cylinder is a heat source and this heat is going to water channel
(modelled with FLUID116 elements) and the air.

For air convection I have to define a heat transfer coefficient which is
dependent on the flow of air around the cylinder.

I'd want to evaluate the HTC analytically and with Ansys CFX.

The cylinder is in a room with known dimensions and the velocity of air
is also known.

1) How do I evaluate HTC analytically? I know I have to calculate
at least Reynolds number and Prandtl number and then Nusselt's number.
After this I'm lost.
2) I have modeled the room with the cylinder in Ansys CFX. Do I somehow
get the HTC as an output from CFX for the elements on the surface of cylinder?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxlvtyrtchz46yu/cylinder.JPG

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
?dl=0Yes, you can get the heat transfer coefficient from CFX. To do this, you will need to set up a boundary condition on the surface of the cylinder that defines the convective heat transfer coefficient. This can be done by setting the convection coefficient (HTC) under the "Boundary Conditions" tab in the CFX solver. The HTC can then be calculated by the solver and output as an answer.

1. What is the heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder?

The heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder is a measure of how easily heat can transfer from the surface of a cylinder to its surroundings. It is usually denoted by the symbol "h" and has units of watts per square meter per Kelvin (W/m²K).

2. How is the heat transfer coefficient calculated for a cylinder?

The heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder can be calculated using the following formula: h = (q/A)(1/(Tc-Ts)), where q is the heat transfer rate, A is the surface area of the cylinder, Tc is the temperature of the cylinder, and Ts is the temperature of the surroundings.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder?

The heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the surface area of the cylinder, the temperature difference between the cylinder and its surroundings, the material of the cylinder, and the flow rate of the fluid surrounding the cylinder.

4. How does the material of the cylinder affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The material of the cylinder can have a significant impact on the heat transfer coefficient. Metals, such as copper or aluminum, have high thermal conductivity and therefore have a higher heat transfer coefficient compared to non-metals. Additionally, the surface roughness of the cylinder can also affect the heat transfer coefficient.

5. Why is it important to evaluate the heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder?

Evaluating the heat transfer coefficient for a cylinder is important for determining the thermal performance and efficiency of a system. It can also help in designing and optimizing heat transfer processes for various applications, such as in heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and engines.