Compactness contradiction physics

In summary, To show that there exist a,b in A such that d(A) = d(a,b) where d(A) denotes the diameter of A, we can use the fact that a compactness of A implies that it is closed and bounded. Alternatively, we could assume that there are no a,b in A such that d(A)=d(a,b) and arrive at a contradiction to the fact that A is compact. Another approach is to find appropriate sequences (a_n) and (b_n) and apply Bolzano-Weierstrass. It is also known that compact and sequentially compact are equivalent for metric spaces. Additionally, every continuous real valued function on a compact space is bounded and attains its bounds. This can be
mansi
Let A be a compact subset of a metric space (X,d). Show that there exist a,b in A such that d(A) = d(a,b) where d(A) denotes the diameter of A.

I guess...we're supposed to use the fact that a compactness of A implies that it is closed and bounded or alternately...we could assume that there are no a,b in A such that d(A)=d(a,b) and arrive at a contradiction to the fact that A is compact.
Any suggestions??

Physics news on Phys.org
Find appropriate sequences (a_n) and (b_n) then apply Bolzano-Weierstrass.

THis may be exactly the same hint, but it's also known that compact and seqentially compact are equivalent for metric spaces. But then there is another way of doing it: every continuous real valued function on a compact spaces is bounded and attains its bounds.

matt grime said:
THis may be exactly the same hint, but it's also known that compact and seqentially compact are equivalent for metric spaces.

That's what I meant by Bolzano-Weierstrass. But I probably should have been more explicit, since that's really a generalization of the theorem and not the theorem iteself.

thanks... i did do the sequences thing but i feel that it's not an elegant way of doing it. why? that's because you're talking about distance in A (cross) A
that's what d(an,bn) means...
so i think it's definitely not the best way of doing it...
"every continuous real valued function on a compact spaces is bounded and attains its bounds. " can you please elaborate? :confused:

A is compact, hence AxA is compact. d(?,?) is a continuous function on AxA hence there is a point in AxA such that d(?,?) is maximized, let that point be (a,b).

thanks a lot...i figured that out finally!

What is compactness contradiction physics?

Compactness contradiction physics refers to the phenomenon where objects that appear to be compact or small in size actually contain a large amount of energy or mass. This concept is a fundamental part of physics and is explored in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

How does compactness contradiction physics relate to black holes?

Black holes are a prime example of compactness contradiction in physics. Despite their small size, they contain a huge amount of mass and gravitational pull due to the theory of general relativity, which states that mass can warp space and time.

What is the significance of compactness contradiction in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, compactness contradiction is observed in the concept of wave-particle duality. Particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, and their size or compactness is dependent on the observer's perspective.

How is compactness contradiction being studied and explored in modern physics?

Scientists are continuously studying and exploring compactness contradiction in various areas of physics, such as in particle accelerators, astrophysics, and cosmology. The discovery of new particles and the behavior of black holes are also contributing to our understanding of this concept.

Can compactness contradiction be explained by a single theory or equation?

No, compactness contradiction is a complex concept that cannot be fully explained by a single theory or equation. It is a fundamental aspect of the universe that is still being explored and understood by scientists.