Two questions on ideal gases and heat

In summary, a horizontal cylindre with a piston of mass 0.5kg is filled with air. The heating of the gas results in the piston's accelerated displacement until the velocity v = 1 m/s. The amount of heat acumulated by the gas during the heating is found to be U + W = CpΔT + W = W(1 + Cp/(nR)).
feijjjao

Homework Statement

A horizontal cilindre with a piston of mass M = 0.5 kg is filled with air (the specific heat of air is Cp = 1000 Joule/Grad*kmole). The heating of the gas results in the piston's accelerated displacement (with constant acceleration) until the velocity v = 1 m/s. Determine the amount of heat acumulated by the gas during the heating. The energy of one gas mol is U = Cp*T. Ignore the external pressure and the thermical capacities of both the cilindre and piston. The universal gas constant is R = 8.31*10³ Joule/Grad*kmole.

The volume of a room is 100m³ with ambient pressure of 1.02*10^5 Pa. Determine the air mass which left the room after the raise in temperature from 10°C to 25°C. The air density in normal conditions (To = 273K, p0 = 1.01*10^5 Pa) is 1.29kg/m³.

Homework Equations

General gas equations, minding the circumstances:
P1V1 = P2V2
P1/T1 = P2/T2
V1/T1 = V2/T2
PV = nRT

Energy conservation
dU = dQ - dW

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the solutions comes out rather simply once you know the conditions. The problem is I don't exactly know how the various factors (pressure, volume, density) are linked, how they affect each other. And thus I have no ground for assumptions. Could someone explain these for me? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the different parameters: P,V,T : are any of them constant?

The work done is W = ∫F dx = ∫m a dx = m∫a dx (from 0 to distance x)

a = dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = (dv/dx)v → a dx = v dv
→ ∫a dx (from 0 to distance x) = ∫v dv (from 0 to 1 m/s).

Thus, W = m∫v dv (from 0 to 1 m/s) = mv^2 /2

Assuming constant pressure (since you provided Cp for air), we have that the work done is:

W = ∫P dV = P∫dV = PV2 - PV1 = nRT2 - nRT1 = nRΔT. Hence, ΔT = W/nR.

Thus, the amount of heat absorbed by the gas = U + W = CpΔT + W = W(1 + Cp/(nR)) =

= mv^2(1+Cp/(nR))/2

Assuming only one mol (since you provided U for 1 mol):

Q = mv^2(1+Cp/(1 mol * R))/2

@LoadedAnvils:... usually we like to encourage people to do their own homework: the idea is that people learn best by doing the work themselves. What we normally do is try to help them get unstuck.

Oh, thanks LoadedAnvils! Our professor tries to avoid the use of calculus in questions he himself makes, so I didn't even thought of that. Well, guess it was needed this time! Thanks!

Simon Bridge, I think you can consider the pressure being constant, right? I was a little lost because I thought the room was closed, and then someone goes and, I don't know, drill a hole on the wall to make the air come out.
So, since pressure is constant, we have

V1/T1 = V2/T2
V2 = (100*298)/283 = 105,3 m³

or, 5,3 m³ of air left the room.
Now we have to find the air density, say d2, under the new conditions. In the normal conditions, we have

d = m/V0 = 1,29 kg/m³

and so

V0 = m/1,29

Using Clayperon's equation for the final condition and the normal condition,

P0V0 = nRT0
P2V2 = nRT2

or

V2 = (P0*V0*T2)/(P2*T0)

And thus

d2 = m/V2 = (m*P2*T0)/(P0*V0*T2) = (d*P2*T0)/(P0*T2) = 1,193 < 1,29

So the mass which left the room is 5,3 * 1,193 = 6,32kg.
Could someone confirm this result for me? Thanks!

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model of a gas that is made up of a large number of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that the particles are point masses that move in straight lines until they collide with another particle or the walls of the container.

2. How does temperature affect ideal gases?

The temperature of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and collide with each other and the walls of the container more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the transfer of energy, while temperature is a measure of the amount of energy present.

5. How does an ideal gas behave under constant pressure?

An ideal gas behaves under constant pressure by following the relationship PV = nRT. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, its temperature will also increase proportionally. Similarly, if the volume decreases, the temperature will decrease as well. This is known as Charles' Law.