This is a question about a potential invention for a low drag gas nose bullet.

In summary, the conversation revolves around an idea to emit a low pressure, low friction gas from the nose of a small arms bullet in order to reduce drag and increase velocity and range. The individual is seeking opinions on the physics and feasibility of this idea, and has filed for a patent. They are also asking for suggestions on what type of gas would be suitable for this purpose. Some suggestions and questions have been raised, including the possibility of using hydrogen or helium, the concept of supercavitating torpedoes, and the potential for using cryogenic gas. However, there is a request for more information and justification for the idea, and it is suggested that the individual share the details of their patent for a more informed discussion.
Chris Evans
I have an idea that I would like to discuss.

My idea is to emit a low pressure low friction gas out the nose of a small arms bullet. I believe it would lower the drag over the body of the bullet thus increasing velocity and range.

I just need to know if the phyics are right is this possible and would it work? I have just filed for a patent so I hope the phyics are right lol.

What do you guyz think would be a good gas?

Any help would be great thanks for looking at the thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't described your reasoning, just the idea. Why do you think this would work? I can tell you that if you could somehow heat the air around the bullet you could reduce wave drag, which is substantial on a typical bullet.

Is there a pressurised gas that gives off extreme heat when it is released into a sea level atmosphere?

You still haven't justified your idea.

well I'm not an expert in phyics but i guessing if you release a lower pressure gas over the body of the bullet that means the air is thinner around the bullet thus reducing drag.

Are there two types of gas that when mixed have an extreme reation producing an enormous amount of heat?

Regardless of the properties of this gas, where is it to be stored? Bullets, the actual projectile part, tend to be pretty small objects.

Chris Evans said:
I have an idea that I would like to discuss.

My idea is to emit a low pressure low friction gas out the nose of a small arms bullet. I believe it would lower the drag over the body of the bullet thus increasing velocity and range.

I just need to know if the phyics are right is this possible and would it work? I have just filed for a patent so I hope the phyics are right lol.

What do you guyz think would be a good gas?

Any help would be great thanks for looking at the thread.

Since you have filed for a patent then the the invention and drawings are open to the public. Why not just post all the information (description, drawings, and claims) here so members and visitors can see for themselves exactly what you proposed in the patent application? Then everyone would be far better equipped to offer the opinions and judgements you have asked for. Thank you.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

(edit) What's a "low friction gas"? Can you give some example of one?

Last edited:

The only thing I can think that the OP might be describing is hydrogen or helium, which is used in *light* *gas* guns, hence the name. But I do not think it is low friction so much as it has a much higher speed of sound than air.

How do you lower the pressure by adding gas? Adding gas increases the pressure. You can't displace a higher pressure gas with a lower pressure. You probably just end up making the pressure higher still.

I wonder if OP got his idea from supercavitating torpedoes, which work on a similar principle except underwater.

Not sure if the concept can be extended to a projectile in air...

Would a cryogenic gas have lower friction?

Lsos said:
I wonder if OP got his idea from supercavitating torpedoes, which work on a similar principle except underwater.

Not sure if the concept can be extended to a projectile in air...

Would a cryogenic gas have lower friction?

I had the same idea: supercavitating torpedoes!

Bobbywhy said:
Since you have filed for a patent then the the invention and drawings are open to the public. Why not just post all the information (description, drawings, and claims) here so members and visitors can see for themselves exactly what you proposed in the patent application? Then everyone would be far better equipped to offer the opinions and judgements you have asked for. Thank you.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

A squirt of WD40?

1. What is a low drag gas nose bullet?

A low drag gas nose bullet is a type of bullet design that utilizes a hollow cavity at the tip of the bullet to capture and compress air as it travels through the barrel of a gun. This compressed air acts as a cushion and reduces the air resistance or drag on the bullet, allowing it to travel faster and more accurately towards its target.

2. How does a low drag gas nose bullet work?

The low drag gas nose bullet works by capturing and compressing air at the tip of the bullet as it travels through the barrel of a gun. This compressed air creates a cushion that reduces the air resistance on the bullet, allowing it to travel faster and more accurately towards its target. This design also helps to reduce the effects of wind and other environmental factors on the bullet's trajectory.

3. What are the advantages of using a low drag gas nose bullet?

The main advantage of using a low drag gas nose bullet is increased accuracy and range. By reducing air resistance, the bullet can travel faster and maintain its trajectory over longer distances. This can be particularly useful for long-range shooting or in situations where environmental factors, such as wind, may affect the bullet's path. Additionally, the design of the bullet can also help to reduce recoil, making it easier for the shooter to maintain accuracy.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a low drag gas nose bullet?

One potential disadvantage of using a low drag gas nose bullet is the cost. These bullets often require more precision and materials to produce, making them more expensive than traditional bullets. Additionally, the design may not be suitable for all types of firearms, so it may not be a viable option for some shooters.

5. How is a low drag gas nose bullet different from a regular bullet?

A regular bullet is a solid projectile that relies solely on its shape and weight to travel through the air towards its target. A low drag gas nose bullet, on the other hand, has a hollow cavity at the tip that captures and compresses air, reducing air resistance and allowing the bullet to travel faster and more accurately. This design also helps to reduce recoil and the effects of wind on the bullet's trajectory.