Max Charging Current for SLA Batteries: Avoiding Damage

In summary: I've seen those too. I think they are sometimes called Current Sensors...In summary, most recommend charging a rapid sealed lead acid battery at a current of 0.1C to 1C. If the battery is already full, charging at the max 32A may damage the battery.
cookiebar
What is the max current for a rapid sealed lead acid battery charger?

Most recommend 0.1C up to 1C where C = Ah rating. I have a max 30-32A regulated 13.8VDC power supply and the battery is 12V, 170Ah. Would charging the battery at the max 32A damage the battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think that the battery will draw the full 32A , in fact i am sure it wont..unless it is past , way past , its prime..
13.8-12 =1.8V
1.8/(internal resistance of battery) approx(.3 ohms) =6 amps..
it should work fine, as it is...
note :: it may draw more or less depending on the actual internal resistance and the amount of charge it allready has ..

The power supply is current limited but I'm worried abt whether the 32A will cause damage to the battery(if fully drained)?

Last edited:
does your power supply have an ammeter built in ?

No but I can easily install 1

what i mean is, if you were to measure the current , you wouldn't be damageing your Ammeter..?
If not ,then try it with the ammeter installed and see what current the battery is drawing..

so what is the max allowable current for charging? I can measure the current with a clamp ammeter.

if you were to measure 6 A when when the battery is connected , you could leave it on for 28 hours ..
170/6 = 28 approx..
as you said at the beginning , 0.1c = 17A , but that is pretty high ...

cookiebar said:
... I can measure the current with a clamp ammeter.

DC?

The few times I charged my motorcycle battery with a charger designed for an auto battery, I put the charger in series with the headlamp. Of course the charge time is much longer.

GENIERE said:
DC?

I was wondering about that myself..
but I'm sure cookiebar knows how to measure current..

I don't know why they wouldn't exist and I can't say I have actually seen one but using a hall sensor you should be able to measure DC amps with a clamp on meter. I have seen sensors that permanently go in-line for current measurement. They are a square donut type of thing that the wire goes through loosely. I can't see why this couldn't be adapted to a clamp on sort of thing. My two cents...

Averagesupernova said:
They are a square donut type of thing that the wire goes through loosely...

Yeah, that seems to jog my memory.

1. What is the maximum charging voltage for an SLA battery?

The maximum charging voltage for an SLA (sealed lead acid) battery is typically around 2.3-2.4 volts per cell. This means that for a 12-volt battery, the maximum charging voltage would be around 13.8-14.4 volts.

2. Can I overcharge an SLA battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge an SLA battery if the charging voltage exceeds the maximum voltage for an extended period of time. This can lead to decreased battery performance and lifespan.

3. How do I know when an SLA battery is fully charged?

Most SLA batteries come with a built-in charge indicator, such as a green light that turns on when the battery is fully charged. If the battery does not have an indicator, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage. When the voltage reaches the maximum charging voltage, the battery is fully charged.

4. What happens if an SLA battery is undercharged?

If an SLA battery is not fully charged, it may not reach its maximum capacity and may have a shorter lifespan. Undercharging can also lead to sulfation, a buildup of lead sulfate crystals on the battery plates, which can decrease performance and eventually cause the battery to fail.

5. Can I charge an SLA battery at a higher voltage to charge it faster?

No, it is not recommended to charge an SLA battery at a higher voltage than the maximum charging voltage. Doing so can cause damage to the battery and decrease its lifespan. It is best to stick to the recommended charging voltage to ensure safe and proper charging.