120 lb. woman survives 200 lb. tumor

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary, This afternoon I watched a Discovery Channel special about a woman named Lori Hoogewind who had a 200 pound tumor removed from her body. The operation lasted over 20 hours and required 50 pints of blood. After the tumor was removed, Lori was left with an open wound covering 40% of her body, similar to severe burn victims. She had five skin grafts and eventually gained back 20 healthy pounds and resumed a normal life. Despite the challenges, Lori remained optimistic and the medical team's skills were able to save her life. The conversation also touched on the topic of why the tumor was allowed to grow to such a large size before being removed, with some speculating that it may have been due
Les Sleeth
Gold Member
This afternoon I saw a Discovery Channel special on neurofibromatosis ("elephant man's disease") where a 120 pound woman, Lori Hoogewind, had a 200 pound tumor removed from her body:

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/medicalstories/feature1.shtml [Broken]

During the over-20 hour operation 50 pints of blood were transfused, and once the tumor was removed it left an open wound that covered 40% of Lori's body, leaving her mortality chances (and pain level) similar to that of severe burn victims. Five skin grafts later she had put on 20 (healthy) pounds and was living a normal life. An amazing story of Lori's optimism, and the skills of medical science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw the fattest dog ever today... It was wider than I am and only came up to my knee. Fat ****ing dog, I'll tell you!

When I hear things like this, I can't help but wonder why the tumor was allowed to get so large before being removed. Those with neurofibromatosis have many tumors affecting nerve endings, so I can understand not removing all of them, but once they reach a certain size, you'd think it would be removed much earlier than 200 lbs!

Moonbear said:
When I hear things like this, I can't help but wonder why the tumor was allowed to get so large before being removed. Those with neurofibromatosis have many tumors affecting nerve endings, so I can understand not removing all of them, but once they reach a certain size, you'd think it would be removed much earlier than 200 lbs!
That is what I am wondering! Does this person just sit there and wonder, hmm why do I all of a sudden weigh another 100lbs, or 50lbs, or hell 20lbs. I always thought women were obsessed with weight, you would think she would be going crazy after gaining 10lbs!

Moonbear said:

I am not sure about this, but because it grew in her midsection, I don't think she realized it was tumor (i.e., rather than weight gain) until it was so big doctors believed it would kill her to remove it. It took her a year to find a doctor who would agree to attempt the surgery, and he only did then because the strain on her heart from all the blood the tumor required was going to kill her anyway. They show the surgery, BTW, it is amazing. They had to use a wheelbarrow to take the tumor to the lab to test for malignancy.

What, so now she weights -80 pounds? :P jk

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Pengwuino said:

Pengwuino said:

:uhh: Duhhhhhh, isn't that 92 pounds? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

my grandmother had a... 40lb i believe.. tumor removed about a year ago. might have been a bit bigger, i forget. but she had no idea that she had it. it was in her stomach, and she thought it was just normal weight gain. needless to say she was quite pleased to have it removed. we joked for a while that it must be nice to lose 40lbs so easy. "man, wish i had a tumor" was the joke. we were really scared at thet time though of course.

I remember hearing about another woman who had a massive (>50kg) tumor... the woman had agoraphobia which is why she allowed it to get so large without getting treated.

how heavy is a pound?

1kg = 2.2 pounds i believe

Les Sleeth said:
I am not sure about this, but because it grew in her midsection, I don't think she realized it was tumor (i.e., rather than weight gain) until it was so big doctors believed it would kill her to remove it.
According to the article, it was on her back (a common place for such tumors), and she had many others removed, which is also common for people with neurofibromatosis, so you'd think they'd have carefully monitored it and she and her doctors should have known the risk of not getting it removed early. Perhaps her doctors were not as familiar with the condition as they should have been; it is somewhat rare.

Moonbear said:
According to the article, it was on her back (a common place for such tumors), and she had many others removed, which is also common for people with neurofibromatosis, so you'd think they'd have carefully monitored it and she and her doctors should have known the risk of not getting it removed early. Perhaps her doctors were not as familiar with the condition as they should have been; it is somewhat rare.

Yes, I must have missed that during the program (I was making pizza :tongue2: while I watched). One thing that really impressed was Lori's courage. No complaining about the pain, which had to be awful. The teamwork of the doctors was inspiring too. Great stuff.

I'm wondering if she had medical coverage, she of course could not work..and Michigans welfare/SS health coverage is really bad. That might of been why it was put off so long.

1. How is it possible for a 120 lb. woman to survive with a 200 lb. tumor?

It is possible for a 120 lb. woman to survive with a 200 lb. tumor due to the body's ability to adapt and compensate for the extra weight. The tumor may have grown slowly over time, allowing the body to adjust to the added weight. Additionally, the tumor may have been located in an area of the body that did not cause major disruptions to vital organs.

2. What factors could contribute to a woman having such a large tumor?

There are many factors that could contribute to a woman having such a large tumor. These include genetic predisposition, environmental factors, lifestyle choices, and certain medical conditions. It is important to note that not all factors are within a person's control, and some tumors may develop without a clear cause.

3. How was the tumor discovered and diagnosed in this woman?

The tumor may have been discovered through routine medical examinations or through symptoms such as pain, discomfort, or changes in bodily functions. Once the tumor was discovered, a doctor likely performed imaging tests such as an MRI or CT scan to confirm the presence and size of the tumor. A biopsy may also have been done to determine if the tumor was cancerous.

4. What type of treatment did the woman receive for her tumor?

The type of treatment for a 200 lb. tumor would depend on several factors such as the location and type of tumor, the woman's overall health, and the potential risks and benefits of different treatment options. Some possible treatments could include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or a combination of these treatments.

5. What is the prognosis for a woman surviving with a tumor of this size?

The prognosis for a woman surviving with a tumor of this size would depend on various factors, such as the type and stage of the tumor, the woman's overall health, and the effectiveness of the chosen treatment. In some cases, the tumor may be removed successfully and the woman can go on to live a healthy life. However, in other cases, the tumor may continue to grow and cause complications or may be difficult to remove completely. It is important to consult with a medical professional for an accurate prognosis and treatment plan.

Back