Proving Equivalence Relations with a Given Condition

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving an equivalence relation using the condition x1+y1=x2+y2. The relation R is defined on a set A and the task is to verify its reflexive, symmetric, and transitive properties. The condition x1+y1=x2+y2 is used to establish these properties and examples are provided to illustrate how it can be applied. The conversation also highlights the importance of using specific examples to gain confidence in proving something in general.
Dream
Hi,
Here is my question. I need to prove the following an equivalence relation.
Let A = {1,2,3,4,5} X {1.2,3,4,5} and define a relation R on A by (x1,y1)R{ x2,y2) if x1+y1=x2+y2.

I am bit confused how to use the condition x1+y1=x2+y2 to prove for transitive, symmetric and reflexive properties.
Please help.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you show that "=" is an equivalence relation on the integers?

Thanks for your reply John.
Ya sure. If I have got your question correctly. I have done this.
Let S be a nonempty set of integers and let
equality = be our relation. Then = is an equivalence relation on
S since
(i) a = a for all a S,
(ii) if a = b, then b = a (for all a,b),
(iii) if a = b and a = b then a = c (for all a,b,c ).

I am eager to know whether I am correct on this or not.

I think on you probably meant: (iii) If a = b and b = c then a = c. The point is, at any rate, that it's easy to see that x1+y1 and x2+y2 from your original post are both integers.

Dream said:
Hi,
Here is my question. I need to prove the following an equivalence relation.
Let A = {1,2,3,4,5} X {1.2,3,4,5} and define a relation R on A by (x1,y1)R{ x2,y2) if x1+y1=x2+y2.

I am bit confused how to use the condition x1+y1=x2+y2 to prove for transitive, symmetric and reflexive properties.
Please help.
Thanks

The relation R that you defined is an equivalence relation on A;
it is not, however, the equality relation on A.

I suggest you state the reflexive, symmetric and transitive properties for binary relations in general.

Then verify that R satisfies all three.

Thanks fopc! but what is the use of condition x1+y1 = x2+y2 ?

Use? Who knows. It's just an example to see if you can prove something is an equivalence relation.

You've not written a proof yet.

So, does (x,y)R(x,y)?
Does (x,y)R(u,v) imply (u,v)R(x,y)?
Does (x,y)R(u,v) and (u,v)R(s,t) imply (x,y)R(s,t)?

Dream said:
Thanks fopc! but what is the use of condition x1+y1 = x2+y2 ?

Here's some supplementary information to consider.

R is a subset of AxA.

x1+y1 = x1+y2 is the property or predicate (call it P) that defines R, i.e.,
R = {((x1,y1),(x2,y2)) | x1+y1 = x2+y2} (loosely stated).

What use is P? P must be used to establish the three properties in question.
There is no escape here. It must be used.
What I think you'll see is that the properties in question will be inherited
from P itself. Think about '='.

Invariably, for me at least, generating specific examples gives confidence
that something can be established in general.
Here's an example for each property.

Reflexivity:
Ask yourself, is every member of A in relation with itself (all 25 of them)? Of course, yes.
For example, is ((1,2),(1,2)) in R?

Symmetry:
Example: Clearly, ((3,4),(5,2)) is in R. Then we must have that ((5,2),(3,4)) in R and it is.

Transitivity:
Example: Clearly, ((5,1),(4,2)) and ((4,2),(3,3)) are in R. Then we must have ((5,1),(3,3)) in R and it is.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot... :-)

1. What is an equivalence relation problem?

An equivalence relation problem is a mathematical concept that involves determining if a relationship between two or more elements is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. An equivalence relation is a type of relationship that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, meaning that it is a relationship that is true for every element in the set.

2. How do you determine if a relation is reflexive?

A relation is reflexive if every element in the set is related to itself. In other words, for every element a in the set, (a,a) must be an ordered pair in the relation. To determine if a relation is reflexive, you can check if (a,a) is included in the set of ordered pairs for every element a in the set.

3. What is an example of an equivalence relation problem?

An example of an equivalence relation problem is determining if a set of people have the same birthday. This problem involves checking if the relationship "having the same birthday" is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive among the elements in the set (the people).

4. Why are equivalence relations important in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they help us identify and understand patterns and relationships between elements in a set. They also allow us to classify objects and situations into groups based on shared characteristics. Equivalence relations are used in various branches of mathematics, including set theory, algebra, and topology.

5. How are equivalence relations different from other types of relations?

Equivalence relations are different from other types of relations because they must satisfy three specific properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Other types of relations may only satisfy one or two of these properties, or they may not satisfy any of them. Equivalence relations also involve comparing elements within a set, rather than comparing elements from different sets.