Limit of Functions and Tyalor's theorem

This can be proven by using the fact that f'(x) = f(x) and the Mean Value Theorem.In summary, the conversation was about a math problem involving limits and derivatives. The person asking for help provided a link to an image for the problem and mentioned using Taylor's theorem. They also asked for clarification on their approach for part A and B of the problem. The person responding gave hints and suggestions, including using l'Hopital's rule and the Mean Value Theorem to solve the problem. They also helped clarify the concept of a function being bounded on an interval.
JustinTridums

Homework Statement

The problem is attached with this message.
Here is the direct link of the image: http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/8QB5XydAGZP4jIXfej9lsw?authkey=x-xog63oZxw

Homework Equations

for problem B I know I need to use Taylor's theorem. But I am not sure how to get started?

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem A I think I need to assume 1/x=y and the y-> infinity, is this right direction?

BTW Tan represents the principle branch of tangent function.

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your image isn't working for me perhaps to explain the problem in text

VeeEight said:
Your image isn't working for me perhaps to explain the problem in text
updated the message, there is adirect link to the image now.
Thanks.

For part A, you should know that [itex]\tan^{-1}(+\infty)=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], so your limit is of the form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] and you can use l'Hopital's rule.

For B;if f'(x)=f(x), then f''(x)=__? And so f'''(x)=__?And so...:wink:

This clearly is not "pre" calculus so I am moving it to "Calculus and Beyond".

gabbagabbahey said:
For part A, you should know that [itex]\tan^{-1}(+\infty)=\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], so your limit is of the form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] and you can use l'Hopital's rule.

For B;if f'(x)=f(x), then f''(x)=__? And so f'''(x)=__?And so...:wink:

I got part a abd b of part B but now I am stuck at proving that it is bounded by [0,x] and after that I think I know. But if you can help me with that that would be great!

What does it mean for f(x) to be bounded on [0,x]?

It means there exists a value M such that |f(y)| ≤ M for all y in [0,x].

1. What is a limit of a function?

A limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a particular value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim".

2. How do you calculate the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be calculated by evaluating the function at values close to the given input and observing the pattern of the outputs. In some cases, algebraic manipulation or the use of limit laws may also be necessary.

3. What is Taylor's theorem?

Taylor's theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that any smooth function can be approximated by a polynomial function near a given point. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor.

4. How is Taylor's theorem used in calculus?

Taylor's theorem is used in calculus to approximate the value of a function near a given point using a polynomial function. This allows for more precise calculations and can also be used to prove the convergence of infinite series.

5. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms that represent the terms of a Taylor polynomial. A Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms that approximates a function near a given point. The degree of a Taylor polynomial determines the accuracy of the approximation.