Need help with partial fraction decomposition for inverse Laplace?

In summary, the student is seeking help with a partial fraction decomposition problem for the expression (s+2)*(s+1)/(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1. They have been unable to find a solution after several hours of work and are looking for clarification on the expression given by their professor. However, it appears that the denominator does not factorize, making partial fraction decomposition impossible.
rforrevenge

Homework Statement

I want to decompose this (s+2)*(s+1)/(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1 using partial fractions so after that i can inverse Laplace it. I have been working on it for several hours but i cannot find a solution. Any help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use parentheses so that it is clear what the expression, in particular what the denominator, is. Is it: (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)] - 1? Presumably not, as trivially (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)] - 1 = 1/(s^2+1) - 1.

Last edited:
The fraction is: (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1]

The -1 is a part of the denominator

Thanks for clarifying, rforrevenge. The denominator (s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1 doesn't appear to factorise, so no partial fraction decomposition is possible. Check your work up to arriving at, presumably, Y(s) = (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1]. Perhaps show us how you arrived at it.

Are you sure you've copied down the correct expression? The denominator expands to s^4+3s^3+3s^2+3s+1 which has no real roots/factors.

Yes i am sure.I found out that the denominator has no roots,so there must be some problem with that expression our prof. gave us

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions. It involves splitting the function into multiple terms with simpler denominators and then finding the corresponding coefficients.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions and makes it easier to integrate or differentiate them. It also helps us to solve equations involving rational functions more easily.

What are the steps to perform partial fraction decomposition?

The steps to perform partial fraction decomposition are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into irreducible polynomials.
  2. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with these irreducible polynomials as denominators.
  3. Find the coefficients of each term by equating the numerators of the original function to the sum of the numerators of the partial fractions.

What are the common types of partial fraction decomposition?

The two common types of partial fraction decomposition are proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational function with a smaller degree in the numerator than in the denominator. Improper partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational function with a larger degree in the numerator than in the denominator.

Why is it important to check the results of partial fraction decomposition?

It is important to check the results of partial fraction decomposition because there may be mistakes made during the process, which can lead to incorrect solutions. Checking the results also ensures that the original rational function can be reconstructed from the partial fractions, and that the coefficients are correct.