Fundamental theorem of calculus for double integral

In summary: I'm afraid I'm not qualified to answer that question as I'm not familiar enough with vector calculus and multivariate calculus. I'd recommend consulting a textbook or a more advanced mathematician for that question.
Jhenrique
The popular fundamental theorem of calculus states that [tex]\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \frac{df}{dx}(x)dx = f(x_1)-f(x_0)[/tex] But I never see this theorem for a dobule integral... The FTC for a univariate function, y'=f'(x), computes the area between f'(x) and the x-axis, delimited by (x0, x1), but given a bivariate function, zxy=fxy(x,y), you can want to compute the volume between a surface fxy(x,y) and the xy-plane, delimited by ((x0, x1), (y0, y1)). So, this volume is given by double integral [tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}(x,y)dxdy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_0,y_0)[/tex] Correct? If yes, what happens that anyone mentions this!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation doesn't make a bit of sense. A double integration is over an area, not from one point to another.

The multi-dimensional analog of the fundamental theorem of calculus is Stoke's theorem.

D H said:
Your notation doesn't make a bit of sense. A double integration is over an area, not from one point to another.

The multi-dimensional analog of the fundamental theorem of calculus is Stoke's theorem.

Really? But if a simple integral can compute areas so a double integral can to compute volumes. Also, the stokes theorem conffirm that volumes can be computed by double or triple integrals.

If the double integral of the 1st post not compute this volume:
image.png

So, what can computeit?

Jhenrique said:
[tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x}(x,y)dxdy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_0,y_0)[/tex] Correct? If yes, what happens that anyone mentions this!?

Try:
[tex]f(x, y) = x^2 y^2[/tex]
If you evaluate the double integral this will show that your hypothesis is false.

PeroK said:
Try:
[tex]f(x, y) = x^2 y^2[/tex]
If you evaluate the double integral this will show that your hypothesis is false.
I'd say it's worse than false. It's not even wrong.

Jhenrique, what the others aren't bothering to tell you is that your hypothesis is following the right line of intuition. The correct generalization of the fundamental theorem of Calculus to a two-dimensional integration across a rectangular region is given by

[tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y)}{\partial y \partial x}dxdy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_1,y_0)-f(x_0,y_1)+f(x_0,y_0).[/tex]

I should stress that my formula only applies if the region of integration is rectangular, and if it is orientated along the Cartesian coordinates (and perhaps if a few other assumptions like "smoothness" and "continuity" are satisfied--I'm a physicist, not a mathematician). The specificity of the equation is probably why you do not often see it highlighted by teachers. More generally, you can perform 2D integration when x0 and x1 are functions of y, but the above form is no longer accurate or useful. I think that techniques in multidimensional integration are usually explained pretty well in most calculus books. If you haven't already done so, you should check out, for example, "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart.

Also, setting D H's derisive sense of humor aside, I do recommend that you take the advice of reading up a bit on Stoke's theorem. The above formula should merely be a special case of that more general statement.

Yeah, the ideia is this!
image.png

But, I not found anything similar to your equation:
csmallw said:
[tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y)}{\partial y \partial x}dxdy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_1,y_0)-f(x_0,y_1)+f(x_0,y_0).[/tex]

How you came to this result?

To prove:

You just have to integrate twice:

[tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y)}{\partial y \partial x}dxdy = \int \limits_{y_0}^{y_1} \frac{\partial f(x_1,y)}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial f(x_0,y)}{\partial y}dy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_1,y_0)-f(x_0,y_1)+f(x_0,y_0).[/tex]

You should have tried with the function I suggested: [tex]f(x, y) = x^2y^2[/tex]

You can't prove a formula by examples, but if you try a specific function it might give you an idea of what is happening. Also, one counterexample is all you need to show a formula is not true.

PeroK said:
To prove:

You just have to integrate twice:

[tex]\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y)}{\partial y \partial x}dxdy = \int \limits_{y_0}^{y_1} \frac{\partial f(x_1,y)}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial f(x_0,y)}{\partial y}dy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_1,y_0)-f(x_0,y_1)+f(x_0,y_0).[/tex]

You should have tried with the function I suggested: [tex]f(x, y) = x^2y^2[/tex]

You can't prove a formula by examples, but if you try a specific function it might give you an idea of what is happening. Also, one counterexample is all you need to show a formula is not true.

ROX!

But if this integral ##\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \frac{df}{dx}(x)dx = f(x_1)-f(x_0)## is analogous to this vectorial integration ##\int_{\vec{s}_0}^{\vec{s}_1}\vec{\nabla}f\cdot d\vec{s}=f(\vec{s}_1)-f(\vec{s}_0)##, so which is the vectorial integration analogous to ##\iint \limits_{y_0 x_0}^{y_1 x_1} \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y)}{\partial y \partial x}dxdy = f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_1,y_0)-f(x_0,y_1)+f(x_0,y_0)## ?

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals?

The fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals states that the double integral of a function over a region can be calculated by evaluating the difference between the values of an antiderivative of the function at the boundaries of the region.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals used?

This theorem is used to simplify the evaluation of double integrals by converting them into single-variable integrals. It allows for the use of antiderivatives to find the value of a double integral, which can be more manageable than directly evaluating the double integral.

3. What is the relationship between the fundamental theorem of calculus and the double integral?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that is used to evaluate definite integrals. The double integral is a specific type of definite integral that is used to find the volume under a surface in 3-dimensional space. The fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals connects these two concepts by providing a way to evaluate double integrals using antiderivatives.

4. Can the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals can be extended to higher dimensions, such as triple or n-dimensional integrals. This extension is known as the generalized fundamental theorem of calculus and is an important concept in multivariable calculus.

5. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals?

One limitation of the fundamental theorem of calculus for double integrals is that it can only be applied to continuous functions. Additionally, the boundaries of the region of integration must also be continuous. If these conditions are not met, the fundamental theorem of calculus cannot be used to evaluate the double integral.