What is mathematically wrong with this integration?

In summary, when integrating a function over a point, you need to take into account the range of values where both functions are nonzero.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I have the following integration:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-j2\pi f_ct[a_p-a_q]}g(t[1+a_p]-kT_s-\tau_p)g(t[1+a_q]-mT_s-\tau_q)\,dt[/tex]

where g(t) is 1 in the interval [0,Ts]. This means that the integration has value when both function g(t[1+a_p]-kT_s-\tau_p) and g(t[1+a_q]-mT_s-\tau_q) are 1. Both are 1 when:

[tex]0\leq t[1+a_p]-kT_s-\tau_p\leq T_s[/tex]

and

[tex]0\leq t[1+a_q]-mT_s-\tau_q\leq T_s[/tex]

Which implies that both are 1 when:

[tex]t=\frac{(\tau_p-\tau_q)+(k-m)T_s}{a_p-a_q}[/tex]

But the integration over a point is zero, which can be the answer of the physical problem I have in hand. Where did I go wrong in the process?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Which implies that both are 1 when:

[tex]t=\frac{(\tau_p-\tau_q)+(k-m)T_s}{a_p-a_q}[/tex]

This is where you went wrong. You can't use the two inequalities to evaluate t directly. You need to calculate the range of t where the two functions are both nonzero.

For example le[itex] \tau_p=\tau_q=a_p=a_q=0[/itex],
[itex] k=-1[/itex],
and
[itex] m=-2[/itex]

Now
[itex]g(t[1+ap]−kTs−τp) =1 [/itex] for [itex]t\in(0,1)[/itex]
and
[itex]g(t[1+aq]−mTs−τq) =1 [/itex] for [itex]t\in(0,.5)[/itex]

As you can see there is still a range in [itex]t[/itex] where both g are nonzero.

the_wolfman said:
This is where you went wrong. You can't use the two inequalities to evaluate t directly. You need to calculate the range of t where the two functions are both nonzero.

For example le[itex] \tau_p=\tau_q=a_p=a_q=0[/itex],
[itex] k=-1[/itex],
and
[itex] m=-2[/itex]

Now
[itex]g(t[1+ap]−kTs−τp) =1 [/itex] for [itex]t\in(0,1)[/itex]
and
[itex]g(t[1+aq]−mTs−τq) =1 [/itex] for [itex]t\in(0,.5)[/itex]

As you can see there is still a range in [itex]t[/itex] where both g are nonzero.

When I subtract the ranges of both functions I got something like:

[tex]0\leq x\leq 0[/tex]

which implies that x=0. Right?

But if I add the ranges I'll get a range of t! Which one is more correct? and why?

1. What exactly is integration in mathematics?

Integration in mathematics is a mathematical operation that is used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How can I tell if an integration is mathematically incorrect?

A common way to determine if an integration is incorrect is to take the derivative of the integrated function. If the derivative does not match the original function, then the integration is incorrect.

3. What are some common mistakes in integration?

Some common mistakes in integration include incorrect use of the integration rules, incorrect limits of integration, and incorrect substitution of variables.

4. Can integration ever give an incorrect result?

Yes, integration can give an incorrect result if the rules and methods are not applied correctly. It is important to double check the process and make sure all calculations are accurate.

5. What are some tips for avoiding mistakes in integration?

To avoid mistakes in integration, it is important to have a solid understanding of the integration rules and methods. It is also helpful to double check the work and use multiple methods to verify the result.