Limit of dirichlet function (from DSP)

In summary, the limit of the given expression is equal to N. This can be evaluated using L'hopital's rule or the series expansion of the sine function. The Landau symbol can also be used to evaluate the limit.
Jyan
How is this limit evaluated?

[tex] \lim_{k->0}\frac{sin(\pi k)}{sin(\frac{\pi k}{N})} [/tex]

I know that it is N, but I can't figure out how to evaluate it, L'hopitals rule doesn't seem to help.

I might solve it by the time I get a response, but figured no reason to not ask especially since I couldn't find much about it on Google.

Solved it, feel like an idiot:

[tex] \lim_{k->0}\frac{sin(\pi k)}{sin(\frac{\pi k}{N})} [/tex]

Using L'hopitals rule:

[tex] \lim_{k->0}N\frac{cos(\pi k)}{cos(\frac{\pi k}{N})} [/tex]

This is equal to N, since cos(0) = 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Attachments

• Limit.JPG
    Limit.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 527

1. What is the Dirichlet function?

The Dirichlet function, also known as the indicator function, is a mathematical function that is equal to 1 if its argument is a rational number and 0 if its argument is an irrational number.

2. What is the limit of the Dirichlet function?

The limit of the Dirichlet function does not exist. This is because as the input approaches a rational number, the function approaches 1, but as the input approaches an irrational number, the function approaches 0.

3. How is the Dirichlet function related to the Riemann integral?

The Dirichlet function is not Riemann integrable. This is because it has an infinite number of discontinuities, making it impossible to find a finite area under the curve.

4. Can the Dirichlet function be modified to make it Riemann integrable?

No, the Dirichlet function cannot be modified to make it Riemann integrable. This is because the function is defined in a way that it will always have an infinite number of discontinuities.

5. What is the significance of the Dirichlet function in mathematics?

The Dirichlet function is a classic example of a function that is continuous nowhere, yet still has some interesting properties. It is often used to illustrate the concept of Riemann integrability and the difference between pointwise and uniform convergence of functions.