Are These Formulas for Indefinite Integrals and Antiderivatives Correct?

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of indefinite integrals and their application in various cases, including double integrals and antiderivatives of functions. It also explored the question of whether certain integrals can be expressed in terms of elementary functions and the purpose of studying mathematical theories that may not have practical applications.
Jhenrique
[tex]\int \frac{d}{dx}f(x)dx = f(x) + C_x[/tex] [tex]\iint \frac{d^2}{dx^2}f(x)dx^2 = f(x) + xC_x + C_{xx}[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x,y)dx = f(x,y) + g_x(y)[/tex] [tex]\int \frac{\partial}{\partial y}f(x,y)dy = f(x,y) + g_y(x)[/tex]
[tex]\iint \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}f(x,y)dx^2 = f(x,y) + x g_{x}(y) + g_{xx}(y)[/tex] [tex]\iint \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x \partial y}f(x,y)dxdy = f(x,y) + \int_{y_0}^{y}g_x(y)dy + G_x(y_0) + g_y(x)[/tex] [tex]\iint \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y \partial x}f(x,y)dydx = f(x,y) + \int_{x_0}^{x}g_y(x)dx + G_y(x_0) + g_x(y)[/tex] [tex]\iint \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}f(x,y)dy^2 = f(x,y) + y g_y(x) + g_{yy}(x)[/tex]

I was trying apply the idea of indefinite integral (ie, the antiderivative of a function + a arbitrary constant/function) for all possible cases. You think that all equation above are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would NOT write "[itex]dx^2[/itex]" for a double integral. And, frankly, I can see no point in writing out all those integrals!

IMO, those integral are usefull for didactic efect.

HallsofIvy said:
I would NOT write "[itex]dx^2[/itex]" for a double integral. And, frankly, I can see no point in writing out all those integrals!
+1 to both.

Jhenrique said:
For what purpose - to be memorized?

Jhenrique said:

In my mathematical career, I have never needed integral tables like in the OP.

Anyway, you want to know whether the formulas are correct? Well, then give us a proof of the formula and we'll tell you if the proof is right or wrong.

micromass said:
In my mathematical career, I have never needed integral tables like in the OP.

How you express a family of antiderivative of a function (f'(x)) that haven't integral?

##\int f'(x) dx = \int_{x_0}^{x} f'(x) dx + f(x_0) + C##

But if you want to integrate twice a function (f''(x) (in this case)) that haven't integral in terms of elementary functions? Answer:

##\iint f''(x) dxdx = \iint_{x_0 x_0}^{x\;x} f''(x) dx dx + f'(x_0)(x - x_0) + f(x_0) + xC_1 + C_2##

Why Riemann did want to study and develop his theory of differential geometry if hadn't application? Why he wanted. Sometimes a theory haven't practice application but has just theoretical application.

Jhenrique said:
How you express a family of antiderivative of a function (f'(x)) that haven't integral?

##\int f'(x) dx = \int_{x_0}^{x} f'(x) dx + f(x_0) + C##

But if you want to integrate twice a function (f''(x) (in this case)) that haven't integral in terms of elementary functions? Answer:

##\iint f''(x) dxdx = \iint_{x_0 x_0}^{x\;x} f''(x) dx dx + f'(x_0)(x - x_0) + f(x_0) + xC_1 + C_2##
What good does having this formula do for you? If f'' doesn't have an antiderivative in terms of elementary functions, then how are you going to get f', or for that matter, f?
Jhenrique said:
Why Riemann did want to study and develop his theory of differential geometry if hadn't application? Why he wanted. Sometimes a theory haven't practice application but has just theoretical application.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the process of calculating the antiderivative of a function. It is the opposite of taking a derivative, and it represents a family of functions that have the same derivative.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral will result in a function, while a definite integral will result in a numerical value. A definite integral is used to find the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral is used to find the original function.

3. What are the steps for solving an indefinite integral?

The steps for solving an indefinite integral include identifying the function, using integration rules to simplify the function, and then adding a constant of integration to represent the family of functions.

4. What are some common applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to find the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as calculate areas, volumes, and work done.

5. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions do not have an antiderivative that can be expressed using elementary functions, and therefore cannot be integrated. These functions are known as non-integrable or non-elementary functions.