Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, Evo thinks that the photo of the pomegranite seeds is the hardest photo to guess, and she would like to go to Death Valley with someone.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Today's "What is it?". Can anyone quess? If you ask, I will give hints.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6198/whatisitlc9.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the inside of a rock.

Could be a microscope shot of some fabric.

It looks like it needs stitches! :uhh:

Could be an extreme close up of an iris. That is the coloured but round the pupil not the plant.

It's a satellite image of a very well known geographical area in the Western US. It's colored using polarimetry.

Niagara.

Evo said:
It's a satellite image of a very well known geographical area in the Western US. It's colored using polarimetry.

Darn, I was going to guess that it might be a satellite image, but I couldn't account for the colors. It must be an IR image?

Edit: sorry, got it, polarimetry

Last edited:
Yosemite?

grand canyon?

Looks like Lake Meade and Hoover Dam, and Vegas.

Gokul43201 said:
Niagara.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yosemite?
Nope to both.

Kurdt said:
grand canyon?

waht said:
Looks like Lake Meade and Hoover Dam, and Vegas.
Nope.

Think hot.

I have another picture that shows a larger area and a different colorization, want it?

The Salt Lake Basin?

Ivan Seeking said:
The Salt Lake Basin?
Nope.

All great guesses, though.

Yellowstone

St. Helens (my next guess would have been Yellowstone)

rewebster said:
Yellowstone
Nope.

That picture is REALLY tough, this next one of the same place might be easier.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6812/whatsameem7.jpg [Broken]

Evo said:
Nope.

All great guesses, though.

Geez, I even cheated and used Google Earth. :biggrin: I found a spot that looked pretty close.

death valley

Kurdt said:
death valley

my second guess--colorized throws things off

basins drain down and go no place --like Salt Lake

(oh, oh, got to go------NO vs SEA)

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
death valley
We have a winner!

Regular photo.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9021/whatisit2zs9.jpg [Broken]

Evo said:
We have a winner!

Yey! What do I win?

Kurdt said:
Yey! What do I win?

A ticket to Death Valley for a week next summer.

waht said:

Oh that's ok I do enjoy the warm more than the cold.

waht said:
Yeah, that's the ticket! :tongue2:

Evo said:
Yeah, that's the ticket! :tongue2:

Second place, TWO weeks. Diddy-boom tshhhhhh.

*now give old joke his cane back!*

Chi Meson said:
Second place, TWO weeks. Diddy-boom tshhhhhh.

*now give old joke his cane back!*
:rofl:

do you have a photo of the mot(h)el(l)?

This is an extremely well known area in the US

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7498/desertscene2ne8.jpg [Broken]

That ones rather easy Ivan and perhaps a rather obvious choice from yourself. That would be Groom Lake otherwise known as area 51. :tongue2:

Kurdt wins another week in Death Valley! WooHoo!

Heh, I figured that would go quickly but was worth a try.

btw, I'm not an area 51 guy, so the obvious connection is a predisposed bias on your part. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
This is an extremely well known area in the US

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7498/desertscene2ne8.jpg [Broken]

Wow! On the lower right there's a baboon face in 3/4 profile. Looks like he's lying on his back looking up at the top of the picture.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>The purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is to engage and challenge readers to use their critical thinking skills and knowledge to solve a mystery or puzzle.</p><h2>2. How often is "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" updated?</h2><p>"Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is updated daily with a new mystery or puzzle for readers to solve.</p><h2>3. Who creates the mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>The mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" are created by a team of scientists and researchers who specialize in creating engaging and challenging puzzles.</p><h2>4. Is there a specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>There is no specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Each mystery is unique and can cover a variety of topics such as science, history, pop culture, and more.</p><h2>5. Can I submit my own mystery for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>Yes, we welcome submissions for mysteries to be featured on "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Please contact us for more information on how to submit your mystery.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

The purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is to engage and challenge readers to use their critical thinking skills and knowledge to solve a mystery or puzzle.

2. How often is "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" updated?

"Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is updated daily with a new mystery or puzzle for readers to solve.

3. Who creates the mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

The mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" are created by a team of scientists and researchers who specialize in creating engaging and challenging puzzles.

4. Is there a specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

There is no specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Each mystery is unique and can cover a variety of topics such as science, history, pop culture, and more.

5. Can I submit my own mystery for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

Yes, we welcome submissions for mysteries to be featured on "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Please contact us for more information on how to submit your mystery.