Harnessing Energy from the Road

• Thread starter rasperas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Piezo crystals are sensitive to pressure, so you can create a voltage by compressing them. Essentially, piezos are just a way to create an electric current by compressing and releasing a material.
rasperas
With all these cars traveling at high speeds down our highways and streets, it could be very well possible to incorporate a piezoelectronic device into the tar, and rig it to provide power for the city, stop lights, and/or traffic signs. Any ideas on it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, seems like it would work, but I would wonder if it would provide a good enough output. Maybe if the device was under every square inch of a busy highway??

I was curious if one could setup some kind of windmill on the sides of interstates. I know semis just about blow me off the road. Seems it would work really well in places where the interstate is cut out in the middle of a forest. Trees on both sides would help concentrate the wind forward, right?

You can't beat thermodynamics. Any energy collection device that robs energy from cars would just force the cars to use more energy in the first place.

Perhaps the waste heat could be better used, though.

- Warren

chroot said:
Perhaps the waste heat could be better used, though.

- Warren
However, as Megashawn said, there's probably not enough waste heat to make use of.

Chroot is quite right about the notion of incorporating piezoelectric devices into the tar meaning that the energy is coming from the cars.

But, since cars are already losing energy to tar, any piezo electric devices that were incorporated that didn't make them use any more energy than they are already expending would represent successful energy recycling.

Would the cost to research and implement it be worth what you recover? I dunno.

Piezo electric wafers are getting better:

Innovation (November/December 2000)
Address:http://nctn.hq.nasa.gov/innovation/3-tt-wiggle.html

A few years ago I read an article where they were kicking around the idea of incorporating wafers into various parts of the car that are undergoing stress and vibration anyway.

They were also talking about the notion of setting up, not windmills, but arrays of wiggle vanes on the sides of highways that would transduce the wind created by passing vehicles into electricity. They thought there might be a way to use it to light the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine is thinking doing graduate research into using piezo-like smart structures to harness vibrations in rocket engines to provide power to run the turbopumps. This would lower fuel requirements by a few percent.

I don't see any reason why using piezos to power nearby devices wouldn't work in theory.

In reality, cost is a major detrement. Hysteresis of the material is another. Asphalt gets really hot which quickly degrades most smart materials. Galfanol is one type which has better properties, but R&D is in the very early stages.

Do the piezoelectric wafers also turn kintetic energy into electric?
If the cars are already being slowed by the tar, as long as it is not slowed anymore it would be effective to use them. Also, how about in the floors of amusement parks or malls? The combined force of all the people walking would be large aswell. To use it in target areas only line up areas would be used.

enigma your signature says that there are always multiple right and wrong answers. but in more words
I read the rest of the quotes he has in there though, i agreed with most of them.

Last edited:
PRyckman said:
Do the piezoelectric wafers also turn kintetic energy into electric?
I did my senior design project for THIS company, which makes piezo sensors. They are polymers: plastics. Stretch them and a voltage is created. Apply a voltage and they deform.

1. How is energy harnessed from the road?

Energy can be harnessed from the road through various methods such as piezoelectric materials, kinetic energy recovery systems, and solar panels. Piezoelectric materials use the vibrations from passing vehicles to generate electricity, while kinetic energy recovery systems capture the kinetic energy from braking vehicles. Solar panels can also be installed on roads to convert sunlight into electricity.

2. What are the benefits of harnessing energy from the road?

Harnessing energy from the road can have several benefits, including reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, decreasing carbon emissions, and providing a source of renewable energy. It can also help to offset the cost of road maintenance and reduce energy costs for nearby communities.

3. Are there any challenges or limitations to harnessing energy from the road?

Yes, there are some challenges and limitations to harnessing energy from the road. One of the main challenges is the initial cost of installing the necessary infrastructure, which can be expensive. Another limitation is the amount of energy that can be harnessed, which may not be enough to meet the demand in heavily trafficked areas.

4. How can energy from the road be used?

The energy harnessed from the road can be used in various ways, such as powering streetlights, traffic signals, and electric vehicle charging stations. It can also be fed into the local power grid for use in homes and businesses.

5. Are there any current projects or initiatives focused on harnessing energy from the road?

Yes, there are several projects and initiatives around the world that are exploring the potential of harnessing energy from the road. For example, the Netherlands has installed solar panels on bike paths, and France has developed a road surface that can generate electricity from the weight of passing vehicles. In the United States, there are pilot projects testing the use of piezoelectric materials on highways to generate electricity.