Limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x)

In summary: Now using L'Hopital's rule (twice) will give you the answer more simply.Oh okay thank you.Btw Can you please explain to me why when the graph is drawn, there doesn't seem to be a limit as the right and left hand limits are different? Thanks again.It is an even function therefore it is symmetric with respect to the y-axis. If what you say is true then the function would not be symmetric with respect to the y-axis hence not even. Perhaps you're plotting your function in a weird interval or are plotting the wrong function?
terminator88

Homework Statement

Limit of x2cosh(1/x) as x approaches 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did some algebra,made into the form infinity over infinity and used hopital's rule. I got limit x2e^(1/x).
Then I again made into the form infinity over infinity(by making it 1/x2).
Then used hopital's rule again and ended up getting limit of e^(1/x) as x approaches 0.

Can I assume that it is infinity? But when I draw the graph of e^(1/x),using my graphic calculator, it shows the right and left limits are different and therefore the limit does not exist.

Sorry for not showing my steps as I cannot find the limit and other symbols on latex.Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
terminator88 said:

Homework Statement

Limit of x2cosh(1/x) as x approaches 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did some algebra,made into the form infinity over infinity and used hopital's rule. I got limit x2e^(1/x).
Then I again made into the form infinity over infinity(by making it 1/x2).
Then used hopital's rule again and ended up getting limit of e^(1/x) as x approaches 0.

Can I assume that it is infinity? But when I draw the graph of e^(1/x),using my graphic calculator, it shows the right and left limits are different and therefore the limit does not exist.

Sorry for not showing my steps as I cannot find the limit and other symbols on latex.Thank you for reading!
I would be inclined to substitute u for 1/x so that [itex]x^2= 1/u^2[/itex] and that limit becomes
[tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \infty}\frac{e^u}{u^2}[/tex]
Now using L'Hopital's rule (twice) will give you the answer more simply.

Oh okay thank you.Btw Can you please explain to me why when the graph is drawn, there doesn't seem to be a limit as the right and left hand limits are different? Thanks again.

It is an even function therefore it is symmetric with respect to the y-axis. If what you say is true then the function would not be symmetric with respect to the y-axis hence not even. Perhaps you're plotting your function in a weird interval or are plotting the wrong function?

Cyosis said:
It is an even function therefore it is symmetric with respect to the y-axis. If what you say is true then the function would not be symmetric with respect to the y-axis hence not even. Perhaps you're plotting your function in a weird interval or are plotting the wrong function?

Sorry I was ambiguous there.I am talking about the function e^(1/x).It does not seem to have a limit when I draw it on the graphing calculator.

Ah I missed that part. However using HallsofIvy's approach you won't have to deal with that limit. Instead you deal with the limit [itex]\lim_{u \to \infty} \frac{e^u}{u^2}[/itex], which is defined. Alternatively you could use the Taylor expansion of the cosh function to see that it diverges.

1. What is the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. This can be proven using the L'Hospital's rule, which states that the limit of a quotient of two functions can be found by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator and evaluating the resulting limit.

2. How is the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) different from the limit of cosine(1/x)?

The limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) and the limit of cosine(1/x) are different because they involve different types of functions. Hyperbolic cosine is a hyperbolic function, while cosine is a trigonometric function. Additionally, the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 is equal to 1, while the limit of cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 does not exist.

3. What is the significance of the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 has a special significance in mathematics. It is used in the Maclaurin series expansion of hyperbolic cosine, which is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives evaluated at a single point. This limit also appears in the definition of the hyperbolic sine function, which is closely related to hyperbolic cosine.

4. Can the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 be evaluated using other methods?

Yes, the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) as x approaches 0 can also be evaluated using the substitution method. This involves substituting a value for x that makes the function simpler to evaluate, such as 1/t. In this case, the limit becomes the same as the limit of cosine(t) as t approaches infinity, which is equal to 1.

5. How is the limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) used in real-world applications?

The limit of hyperbolic cosine(1/x) has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the calculation of the electric potential of a point charge, as well as in the analysis of alternating current circuits. This limit also appears in the solution of differential equations that model physical systems, such as the heat equation and the wave equation.