Prooving a statement with a Lemma

• Thread starter alexk307
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that if two integers divide each other, then they are equal, we can use the lemma that states if the product of two integers is 1, then the integers each equal 1. By assuming a and b are integers and a/b = 1, we can also assume that c and d are integers according to the lemma. Using the hypothesis of what it means for one integer to divide another, we can solve for r and q and show that they both equal 1, meaning that a=b and b=a. This proves that if two integers divide each other, then they are equal.
alexk307

Homework Statement

Using the lemma below, prove that if two integers divide each other, then they are equal

Lemma: If the product of two integers is 1, then the integers each equal 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Very lost here, I can format the proof but I don't know where to start it. Also, isn't the lemma false? If a*b = 1, then a and b equal 1. What about 3/4 * 4/3 = 1? or 2/3 * 3/2 = 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexk307 said:
Also, isn't the lemma false? If a*b = 1, then a and b equal 1. What about 3/4 * 4/3 = 1? or 2/3 * 3/2 = 1?

Ah, but you're forgetting the hypothesis of the lemma. What's the hypothesis? The hypothesis is assumed to be true so...

Once you understand the lemma, what does it mean for one integer to divide another integer?

alexk307 said:

Homework Statement

Using the lemma below, prove that if two integers divide each other, then they are equal

Lemma: If the product of two integers is 1, then the integers each equal 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Very lost here, I can format the proof but I don't know where to start it. Also, isn't the lemma false? If a*b = 1, then a and b equal 1. What about 3/4 * 4/3 = 1? or 2/3 * 3/2 = 1?
3/4 and 4/3 aren't integers, nor are 2/3 and 3/2.

Mark44 said:
3/4 and 4/3 aren't integers, nor are 2/3 and 3/2.

Oh man, that's embarrassing... Thanks

okay so,
I assumed that a and b are both integers and that a/b = 1.
Should I also assume that c*d=1 according to the lemma that if cd=1 then c and d are 1?

alexk307 said:
okay so,
I assumed that a and b are both integers and that a/b = 1.
Should I also assume that c*d=1 according to the lemma that if cd=1 then c and d are 1?

Start with the hypothesis of what you're trying to prove. Using math terms, what does it mean if a divides b? b divides a?

Okay, so if a divides b, then a = bq, where q is the multiplier, also there is no remainder.

so I see that a = bq and b=aq

solving for q... q^2=1 and q=1

I don't know if I'm onto anything by saying q*q=1, and the lemma are related.

just got it I think. because q*q = 1, q must equal 1. Therefor a = bq and b = aq can be reduced to a=b and b=a.

alexk307 said:
so I see that a = bq and b=aq

Not quite. It's true that a = bq, where q is an integer. However, you cannot say b = aq. It could be a different integer, so the simple solution is to make b = ar, where r is an integer.

So now that you have the two equations:

a = bq
b = ar

What can we do?

oh okay so a=bq and b=ar solving for then rq=1.

So I had the right idea, but I can't say that they're both able to be divided by the same integer, but that rq=1

and then r and q both equal 1, so a=b and b=a.

alexk307 said:
oh okay so a=bq and b=ar solving for then rq=1.

So I had the right idea, but I can't say that they're both able to be divided by the same integer, but that rq=1

and then r and q both equal 1, so a=b and b=a.

You got it.

very helpful, thanks for the walkthrough!

What is a Lemma?

A Lemma is a statement or proposition that is used to help prove a larger statement or theorem. It is typically a smaller or more specific version of the larger statement, and serves as a stepping stone in the proof process.

How do you use a Lemma in a proof?

To use a Lemma in a proof, you first need to state the Lemma and provide its proof. Then, in the proof of the larger statement, you can refer to the Lemma and use it to support your argument. This helps to simplify the proof and make it more concise.

Can a Lemma be proven on its own?

Yes, a Lemma can be proven on its own, but it is typically used as a tool to prove a larger statement. However, if a Lemma is interesting or useful enough, it may be proven and studied on its own.

How do you choose a Lemma to use in a proof?

To choose a Lemma to use in a proof, you should look for one that is related to the larger statement and helps to simplify the proof. It should also be a statement that is easily proven and well-supported.

Are Lemmas used in all areas of science?

Lemmas are commonly used in mathematics and theoretical sciences, but they can also be used in other areas of science. However, the specific use and application of Lemmas may vary depending on the field and type of research being conducted.