Identifying Plants: A Guide to South West Ireland's Flora

• Thread starter Darth Frodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plants
In summary, these were all picked today. They were picked from the South West Ireland.Here's some moreAnd some moreAnd these are the last ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Here's some more The third appears to be meadow buttercup.
Darth Frodo
Just some extra info.

These were all picked today. They were picked from the South West Ireland.

Attachments

• CIMG1201.jpg
    CIMG1201.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 412
  • CIMG1204.jpg
    CIMG1204.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 347
  • CIMG1205.jpg
    CIMG1205.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some more

Attachments

• CIMG1206.jpg
    CIMG1206.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 370
  • CIMG1207.jpg
    CIMG1207.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 383
  • CIMG1211.jpg
    CIMG1211.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 399
And some more

Attachments

• CIMG1216.jpg
    CIMG1216.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 384
  • CIMG1214.jpg
    CIMG1214.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 346
  • CIMG1212.jpg
    CIMG1212.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 346
And these are the last ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CIMG1217.jpg
    CIMG1217.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 328
  • CIMG1218.jpg
    CIMG1218.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 363
WOW thanks evo. That's a great site. Extremely useful. Now I know that post 3 image 3 is white clover.

I am reasonably confident that post1 image 2 is Timothy Grass and that post 1 image 1 is Yorkshire Fog.

I am not convinced your post1 image 2 is Timothy grass. I would expect the spike would be more densely compact. If you could snap another image showing it vertically against a light background, that would be helpful.

Darth Frodo said:
I am reasonably confident that post1 image 2 is Timothy Grass and that post 1 image 1 is Yorkshire Fog.

I may have some more hints tomorrow.

Ouabache said:
I am not convinced your post1 image 2 is Timothy grass. I would expect the spike would be more densely compact. If you could snap another image showing it vertically against a light background, that would be helpful.

Sure! Here you go.

Attachments

• CIMG1225.jpg
    CIMG1225.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 368

1. How do I identify plants?

There are a few different ways to identify plants. One method is to start by looking at the plant's physical characteristics, such as its leaves, flowers, and stem. You can then use a plant identification guide or app to match these characteristics with known plant species. Another option is to take a sample of the plant and consult with a local botanist or horticulturist.

2. What information do I need to identify a plant?

In order to accurately identify a plant, it's helpful to have as much information as possible. This can include the plant's physical characteristics, location, and time of year it was observed. It may also be helpful to know the type of soil the plant is growing in and any other plants or animals that are nearby.

3. How can I identify plants without using a guide or app?

If you don't have access to a plant identification guide or app, you can still try to identify a plant by doing some research online. There are many websites and forums where you can post a photo of the plant and ask for help identifying it. You can also try reaching out to local gardening groups or botanical societies for assistance.

4. Can I identify a plant based on its medicinal properties?

In some cases, yes, you can identify a plant by its medicinal properties. However, it's important to note that many plants have similar medicinal properties, and some plants may have both medicinal and toxic properties. It's best to consult with a trained herbalist or botanist before using a plant for medicinal purposes.

5. Is it possible to identify a plant from a single photo?

While it's possible to identify some plants from a single photo, it's not always recommended. Oftentimes, one photo may not provide enough information to accurately identify a plant. It's best to include multiple photos from different angles and close-ups of the leaves, flowers, and stem for a more accurate identification.