Register to reply

Nucleon transition time

by gildomar
Tags: nucleon, time, transition
Share this thread:
gildomar
Jul3-14, 09:31 PM
P: 64
I know that the nucleus can be considered a bunch of particles that constantly transition between protons and neutrons due to exchange. Given that, is it meaningful to talk about the "average" time that a nucleon spends as either a proton or a neutron before switching to the other? Or is that a non sequitor?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Guidelines for enhancing solar cells using surface plasmon polaritons
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
'Cavity protection effect' helps to conserve quantum information
mfb
Jul4-14, 02:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,815
That does not make sense, but you can still give a rough typical timescale for processes in the nucleus, corresponding to ##\hbar## divided by the binding energy of a nucleon.
ChrisVer
Jul4-14, 05:04 PM
P: 855
I am not sure, but I learned during my undergrad that the neutron is stable in the nucleus because it transforms to proton with pions before having the time to beta decay.
HOWEVER here I learned this is nonsense of an explanation and I even got a red ticket for posting a source... and now that I think of it, it's really nonsense because- then - there would be no beta decays for any nucleus...

But in general the characteristic time for a neutron to proton transisition is supposed to be the characteristic time of nuclear interactions... you can find that "characteristic" time only by seeing how much does it take for a photon to pass through a nucleus (so how much fast is the fastest interaction within the nucleus). That's by taking:
[itex]t_{ch} \propto \frac{1 fm}{c} [/itex]
where 1fm is around the radius of the nucleus...

gildomar
Jul4-14, 05:31 PM
P: 64
Nucleon transition time

Yeah, sorry about that; it was late and I really misinterpreted something that I had read. I realized how backwards it was after I actually slept on the matter.

Register to reply