Terminal velocity of a steel ball

In summary, the conversation revolved around a coursework on finding the terminal velocity of a steel ball in a liquid at different temperatures. The variables of the experiment were discussed, with the graph having temperature on the x-axis and terminal velocity on the y-axis. The results were found to be inaccurate due to the simplicity of the formula used. It was also mentioned that an increase in temperature lowers the viscosity, resulting in an increase in velocity.
sueanne
Hi I doing a coursework on finding the terminal velocity of a steel ball in a liquid at different temperatures

How is my graph suppose to like? My two variables are temperature and terminal velocity (i got my terminal velocity from speed = distance / time)
And if possible, if you know it, what will the line look like? Is it porportional?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the graph from your data look like?

I have temperature on the x axis, and terminal velocity on the y axis. My line is linear, and i think its porportional like a 45 degree line, except the last point which must be an anomalie

These weren't experimentally determined were they...

sorry mate i don't understand what ure on about 'experimentally determind" of course my results are inaccurate. the actual formula for finding terminal velocity is way more complex than that , but my teacher insisted on it man.

Depending on how you made your measurements, that last point may reflect a situation where the ball hadn't reached terminal velocity - just a guess.

Yeah I guess so, what's really weird about the whole thing is that the whole experiment was based on a programme, we just had to time the steel ball reaching the bottom

Increase in temperature lowers the viscosity

Terminal velocity = (2 / 9) (r² g / η) (ρ - ρ')

Where r=radius, g=gravity, η=viscosity, ρ= density of steel, ρ'=density of the liquid

So, if η decreases, velocity increases.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that a falling object can reach when the downward force of gravity is balanced by the upward force of air resistance.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula: Vt = √(2mg/ρAC), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid (in this case, air), A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect the terminal velocity of a steel ball?

The terminal velocity of a steel ball is affected by its mass, cross-sectional area, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through. Additionally, the shape and surface texture of the ball can also influence its terminal velocity.

4. Why does the terminal velocity of a steel ball change in different fluids?

The terminal velocity of a steel ball changes in different fluids because the density and viscosity of the fluid affect the amount of drag force acting on the ball. The higher the density and viscosity of the fluid, the greater the drag force and therefore, the lower the terminal velocity.

5. Can the terminal velocity of a steel ball ever be exceeded?

No, the terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that a falling object can reach. Once the downward force of gravity is balanced by the upward force of air resistance, the object will continue to fall at a constant velocity until it reaches the ground. However, in a vacuum where there is no air resistance, the terminal velocity of a steel ball will not be reached and it can continue to accelerate until it reaches the ground.