Hey, is an EE graduate degree worthwhile?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of achieving a high undergraduate GPA and whether or not it is necessary for graduate school, particularly in the field of electrical engineering. The individual is considering pursuing a career in video game console design and is wondering if a master's or doctorate degree is required for this field. They also mention concerns about their current GPA and the difficulty of the electrical engineering program.
KillaMarcilla
I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to make my undergraduate GPA super high

My cumulative won't get much higher than 3.2 even if I get 4.0 for the next two years, so I won't be able to get into any honors societies, and the only reason I can see to bother temporarily memorizing every stupid detail to ace my finals and get super-high grades is so that I could get into graduate school

But is that necessary in EE? What kind of work can you do with a master's or doctorate that you can't do with a bachelor's degree?

I'm thinking I'd like to go into the design of video game consoles, but I'm concerned that a Bachelor's will just leave me qualified to be some phd's <strike>*****</strike> technician

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on where you want to get your advanced education and what companies are looking at your educational background. Ivy league schools will want only the best candidates, compared to an average state school. Same for companies, if you want to produce games for SquareSoft,Lucas Arts,etc. start kicking ass in school! ~Later Dave

can i get a ms degree with 2.5 gpa? EE is hard.

1. What job opportunities are available for an EE graduate?

EE graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, renewable energy, computer hardware and software, aerospace, and many more. They can work as electrical engineers, electronics engineers, systems engineers, software engineers, and in other related roles.

2. Will getting an EE graduate degree lead to a higher salary?

Typically, individuals with an EE graduate degree earn higher salaries than those with only an undergraduate degree. However, salary also depends on factors such as job location, industry, and years of experience.

3. Is an EE graduate degree more challenging than an undergraduate degree?

An EE graduate degree is generally more challenging than an undergraduate degree as it delves deeper into advanced concepts and requires a higher level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and individual's abilities.

4. Can an EE graduate degree lead to a career in research and development?

Yes, an EE graduate degree can lead to a career in research and development. Many companies and organizations have research and development departments that focus on developing new technologies and products in the field of electrical engineering.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge gained from an EE graduate degree that are not covered in an undergraduate degree?

Yes, an EE graduate degree typically covers more advanced and specialized topics in areas such as advanced electronics, electromagnetics, signal processing, and control systems. It also provides opportunities for research and hands-on experience in these areas, which may not be covered in an undergraduate degree.