Scatter Plot in Excel - Referencing Cells Merged or Not

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with doing a scatter plot in Excel. The issue arises when referencing more than eight cells from a different sheet, some of which are merged. Despite trying to unmerge the cells and referencing single cells, the problem persists. The suggestion is made that the issue may be caused by long sheet names, which can get truncated when importing. After changing the tab name to a shorter one, the scatter plot is successfully created, even with the merged cells.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to do a scatter plot in Excel, and I am referencing points from a different sheet. However, excel won't let me reference more than eight cells. Some of the cells are merged, I don't know if that will affect it...

Any help would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Merged cells are a problem when plotting in excel...

Thank's for the suggestion, I tried un merging the cells, and just referencing the single cells, however, the same problem occured. I have rather long sheet names, do you think that may have something to do with it?

Could be, they get truncated on the tab if you have a long filename when you import.

Dr Transport said:
Could be, they get truncated on the tab if you have a long filename when you import.

I changed the tab name to a shorter name and found that the chart was plotted perfectly, even with the merged cells. Thank's very much for your help :smile:

1. What is a scatter plot in Excel?

A scatter plot in Excel is a type of graph that displays data points as dots on a 2-dimensional coordinate system. It is used to show the relationship between two variables and to identify any patterns or trends in the data.

2. How do I create a scatter plot in Excel?

To create a scatter plot in Excel, you first need to organize your data in two columns, with one column representing the x-axis values and the other representing the y-axis values. Then, select both columns of data and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, click on the "Scatter" chart type and choose the desired style of scatter plot.

3. Can I reference cells that are merged when creating a scatter plot in Excel?

Yes, you can reference cells that are merged when creating a scatter plot in Excel. However, it is not recommended as it can cause problems with the accuracy of the data and the ability to make changes to the plot in the future.

4. What is the difference between referencing merged and non-merged cells in a scatter plot?

Referencing merged cells in a scatter plot can cause issues with the accuracy of the data and the ability to make changes, as mentioned before. Non-merged cells, on the other hand, are individual cells that can be easily edited and updated without any complications.

5. Are there any best practices for creating a scatter plot in Excel?

Yes, there are a few best practices for creating a scatter plot in Excel. These include using non-merged cells, labeling your axes clearly, and choosing a suitable chart style. It is also important to use a consistent scale for both axes and to include a legend if there are multiple data series.