Solving Third-Order Diophantine Equations: Resources and Assistance

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving equations of the form ax^3+by^3=c, specifically third-order Diophantine equations. The person is looking for resources or assistance to understand how to solve these types of equations and how to prove that they have no solutions. They share their own attempt at solving a specific equation and show how checking for solutions using different variables can lead to different results. Ultimately, they conclude that there is no solution for the given equation.
Oxymoron
Does anyone know of any resources on the web (or if you prefer, provide me directly with assistance) which will help me understand how to solve equations of the form

[tex]ax^3+by^3=c[/tex]

I believe they are third-order Diophantine equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I should be a little more specific.

How would you go about proving that a third order Diophantine equation has no solutions?

I decided to have a go and here is how I went. Let me know if I made any mistakes

Consider the Diophantine equation

[tex]x^3+117y^3=5[/tex]

Choose mod 5.

The equation tells us that [itex]5|x^3 \Rightarrow 5^3|x^3 \Rightarrow x = 5X[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]125\cdot X^3 +117y^3 = 5[/tex]

By the same procedure as above, this equation tells us that [itex]5|y^3 \Rightarrow y = 5Y[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]125\cdot X^3 + 117\cdot 5Y^3 = 5[/tex]

Divide through by 5 and we have

[tex]25\cdot X^3 + 117\cdot Y^3 = 1[/tex]

This equation now tells me that

[tex]25X^3 \equiv 1(\mod 5)[/tex]

But [itex]25\equiv 0 (\mod 5)[/itex]. Hence there is no such [itex]0,1,2,3,4[/itex] such that [itex]X^3\equiv 1(\mod 5)[/itex].

However, if we had checked Y first we would have found

[tex]117Y^3 \equiv 1(\mod 5)[/tex]

which implies that

[tex]Y^3 \equiv 2(\mod 5)[/tex]

since [itex]117\equiv 2 (\mod 5)[/itex]. And since if we let [itex]Y = 3[/itex] then

[tex]Y^3 = 3^3 = 27 \equiv 2(\mod 5)[/tex]

then this tells us that there is a solution. But since it failed for X there is no solution.

1. What is a third-order Diophantine equation?

A third-order Diophantine equation is an equation in three variables (x, y, and z) where the coefficients are integers and the solutions must also be integers. These equations are named after the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus, who first studied them.

2. Why are third-order Diophantine equations difficult to solve?

Third-order Diophantine equations are difficult to solve because they involve three variables and must have integer solutions. This means that traditional algebraic methods may not work, and specialized techniques such as factoring and modular arithmetic must be used.

3. Are there any resources available for solving third-order Diophantine equations?

Yes, there are many resources available for solving third-order Diophantine equations. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and problem-solving forums where experts and enthusiasts can provide assistance and share techniques.

4. Can anyone solve a third-order Diophantine equation?

No, solving third-order Diophantine equations requires a strong understanding of algebra and number theory. It also requires patience and perseverance, as these equations can be quite challenging. However, with the right resources and assistance, anyone can learn to solve these equations.

5. How can I get help with solving a third-order Diophantine equation?

If you are struggling with solving a third-order Diophantine equation, there are several options for getting help. You can consult with a math tutor or join an online community where you can ask for assistance from others who have experience with these equations. Additionally, there are many websites and forums that offer step-by-step solutions and explanations for various types of Diophantine equations.