Engineering Viruses: Research for Controlling or Curing Disease?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, this method of treating bacterial infections is still in its early stages and has a few kinks to work out. However, it is being studied and may one day be a viable way of controlling or curing a disease.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Has any real thought ever been given to engineering virusses with the nessecary antigens to attach to something of the engineer's choice, such as a harmful bacteria strain? If slow-mutating strains were chosen, with none of the nessecary antigens to attach to a human, would this make a viable way of controlling or curing a disease?
I realize it wouldn't be as simple as that, and be somewhat fraught with difficulty, but has any research been undertaken along these lines?

Biology news on Phys.org
It's generally not the bacterial diseases that cause the most health problems, but viral diseases and parasites. The greatest threats to health in the three categories are probably influenza (a virus, with HIV catching up in the next decade or so), malaria (parasite) and tuberculosis (bacteria). Unless it is a resistant strain of TB (which unfortunately is on the rise), we have pretty effective treatments for it, and the same with malaria. But influenza is always a crap shoot whether or not our immunization attempts will work.

matthyaouw said:
Has any real thought ever been given to engineering virusses with the nessecary antigens to attach to something of the engineer's choice, such as a harmful bacteria strain? If slow-mutating strains were chosen, with none of the nessecary antigens to attach to a human, would this make a viable way of controlling or curing a disease?
I realize it wouldn't be as simple as that, and be somewhat fraught with difficulty, but has any research been undertaken along these lines?

There's actually a treatement developed by the russian and it is used in eastern europe that use bacteriophage (i.e. a specific bacterial viruses) to treat infection with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

Researches are trying do develop and engineer those viruses. I remember seeing a few papers about the engineering I just can seem to find it

Wikipedia has short article on phage therapy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy

http://www.evergreen.edu/phage/phagetherapy/phagetherapy.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links! I didn't realize it'd been so thoroughly tested!
I'll have more of a read around when all my deadlines are out of the way.

1. What is the purpose of engineering viruses for controlling or curing disease?

The purpose of engineering viruses is to develop new methods for controlling or curing diseases that are caused by viruses. These methods may include developing vaccines, creating new treatments, or studying the mechanisms of viral infection to better understand how to prevent or treat diseases.

2. How do scientists engineer viruses for research?

Scientists typically use genetic engineering techniques to modify the genetic material of viruses. This can involve inserting or deleting specific genes, changing the sequence of existing genes, or combining different viral genomes to create new viruses with desired properties.

3. What are the potential risks of engineering viruses for research?

There are several potential risks associated with engineering viruses for research, including accidental release of the modified viruses, unintended consequences of genetic modifications, and the creation of more virulent or resistant viruses. Therefore, strict safety protocols and ethical considerations must be in place when conducting this type of research.

4. Can engineering viruses lead to the development of new treatments or cures for diseases?

Yes, engineering viruses can lead to the development of new treatments or cures for diseases. By understanding the genetic makeup of viruses and how they interact with host cells, scientists can identify potential targets for treatments and design viruses that can specifically target and destroy disease-causing cells.

5. What are some current applications of engineered viruses in disease control or treatment?

Some current applications of engineered viruses in disease control or treatment include the development of vaccines for diseases such as influenza, HIV, and Ebola, as well as the use of oncolytic viruses for cancer treatment. Researchers are also exploring the potential of using engineered viruses for gene therapy and targeted drug delivery.