Investigating the Smell of Strontium Chloride

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, during the process of creating a solution of Strontium Chloride, a sulfur odor was detected. This is likely due to sulfur impurities in the Strontium Carbonate powder used. The threshold for smelling sulfur is 0.0047 ppm, so only a small amount of impurities is needed to produce the odor. Despite the unexpected odor, it is not uncommon for impurities to be present in chemical compounds.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I was preparing a solution of Strontium Chloride by reacting Strontium Carbonate powder with some dilute Hydrochloric acid.
As expected, the acid reacted with the SrCO3 and began to fizzle (Carbon Dioxide forming in a similar reaction to vinegar and baking soda). I began to detect a slight odor in the air and, upon further inspection, it was coming from the SrCO3 + HCl reaction taking place. I wafted it a bit, it smelled a little like it had some Sulfur in it and it had the “rotten egg” smell. The only gas/gasses being produced in the reaction was/were colorless.

What could have caused this Sulfury odor? Does it have something to do with the Strontium? Or perhaps is it an impurity in the SrCO3?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you probably have a sulfur impurity. This seller, http://www.atomixinc.com/strontiumcarbonate.htm , lists sulfur as a possible impurity. I get a strong sulfur smell when I add acids to iron sources because of sulfur impurities. You only need a little bit of H2S in order to smell it- 0.0047 ppm is the threshold for smelling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I thought, its probably impurities.
It sure was strange getting that odor from a Strontium compound.

1. What is strontium chloride and why does it have a smell?

Strontium chloride is a compound made up of the elements strontium and chlorine. It has a distinct smell due to the presence of the chlorine atoms, which have a strong odor.

2. How is the smell of strontium chloride investigated?

The smell of strontium chloride can be investigated through various methods, such as qualitative analysis using the human sense of smell, or through instrumental analysis using techniques like gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.

3. What are the potential health effects of inhaling the smell of strontium chloride?

Inhaling the smell of strontium chloride may cause irritation to the respiratory system and can also irritate the skin and eyes. It is important to handle this compound with caution and in a well-ventilated area.

4. Can the smell of strontium chloride be harmful to the environment?

The smell of strontium chloride is not considered harmful to the environment, as it does not have any significant impact on air quality or contribute to pollution. However, it is still important to handle and dispose of this compound properly to prevent any potential harm.

5. How is the smell of strontium chloride used in the scientific community?

The smell of strontium chloride is often used in chemistry laboratories as a way to teach students about the properties of different chemical compounds. It can also be used as a reagent in various chemical reactions and as a component in certain products, such as fireworks.