Annealing effect on PL efficiency

• Thread starter sttan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of annealing on ZnO films grown on sapphire substrate. The annealing was carried out at 800'C in different ambient conditions. While the crystallinity of the film improved, the resistivity increased and the PL efficiency decreased, which was unexpected. The decrease in PL efficiency is believed to be caused by the increase of non-radiative defects near the grain boundaries, as evidenced by the narrowing of the FWHM of the XRD peaks. However, further analysis is needed to determine the dominant factor for the narrowing of the FWHM.
sttan
I've some ZnO films grown on sapphire substrate. The ZnO film, however, is a highly-oriented polycrystalline film. The annealing was carried out at 800'C at different ambient, (N2, O2, etc.)

After annealing, as expected, the crystallinity improved (narrowing FWHM of XRD). Resistivity increased (due to the well-developed grain boundaries after annealing and annihilation of some shallow defects). However, the PL results puzzled me. I integrated the PL spectrum (radiative emission efficiency) of the as-grown and annealed samples. I found that the efficiency degraded after the annealing. This is abnormal phenomenon. Generally, at this annealing temperature, the sample has better crystallinity and PL efficiency. Of course, i know that the effect of annealing depends much on the ZnO films such as stoichiometry, etc. But it is generally accepted that 800'C annealing will improved stuctureal and optical properties of ZnO. I'm wondering why my batch of samples show different characteristic.

Here is my speculation, the degrade of PL efficiency is obviously due to the increase of non-radiative recombination centers (defects). Since the FWHM of the XRD narrowed after the annealing, most of the non-radiative defects are generated at or near the grain boundaries. Hence, i get better crystalliinity of the films after annealing, while degrade in PL efficiency due to the creation of non-radiative defects. Am I right to say so? Is there anyway to prove my speculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
sttan said:
Here is my speculation, the degrade of PL efficiency is obviously due to the increase of non-radiative recombination centers (defects). Since the FWHM of the XRD narrowed after the annealing, most of the non-radiative defects are generated at or near the grain boundaries. Hence, i get better crystalliinity of the films after annealing, while degrade in PL efficiency due to the creation of non-radiative defects. Am I right to say so? Is there anyway to prove my speculation?
It would seem to me that a reduction in the FWHM can come about as a result of strain relaxation after annealing. With lower strain gradients, you have sharper parameters and hence narrower peaks. If you do an analysis of the peak widths* (before and after anneal), you might be able to isolate the effects of the broadening.

* See my very brief discussion of XRD peak broadening in the recent XRD thread by anil.bose

Last edited:
Hi Gokul, thanks for your reply.

I do understand that the narrowing of XRD FWHM could be due to the increase of grain size and/or strain relaxation after annealing. However, for polycrystalline films, the grain size effect could be dominant over the strain relaxation effect. In fact, I have carried out a study at my previous batch samples (with various XRD peaks, typical polycryrstalline films), while the annealing was done at lower temperature of 500'C. Williamson-Hall graph was plotted to estimate the strain relaxation after annealing. It was found that the strain relaxation is very small and hence its effect on FWHM narrowing could be negligible compare to grain size effect. Also, the grain size of my films was estimated to be in the range of 50 ~ 60 nm using Scherrer's formula, which is considered accurate way of grain size estimation for polycrystalline films.

Back to my question again. If the narrowing of FWHM is mainly due to the ripening of the grains. Is my speculation correct? Is my statement convinced enough?

1. What is the annealing effect on PL efficiency?

The annealing effect on PL efficiency refers to the change in photoluminescence (PL) efficiency of a material after it has been subjected to a heating and cooling process known as annealing. Annealing can involve heating the material to high temperatures and then allowing it to cool slowly, or using a rapid thermal annealing process. The effect of annealing on the PL efficiency can vary depending on the material and the annealing conditions.

2. How does annealing affect the PL efficiency of a material?

Annealing can affect the PL efficiency of a material in several ways. It can help to remove defects or impurities in the material, which can improve the crystal structure and increase the PL efficiency. Annealing can also modify the band structure of the material, leading to changes in the emission properties and PL efficiency. Additionally, annealing can induce strain or stress in the material, which can also impact the PL efficiency.

3. What are some factors that can influence the annealing effect on PL efficiency?

The annealing process can be influenced by several factors, such as the temperature and duration of the annealing, the type of atmosphere or gas used during annealing, and the composition and structure of the material. Other factors that can play a role include the size and shape of the material, the presence of impurities or defects, and the type of substrate on which the material is deposited.

4. Can annealing improve the PL efficiency of all materials?

No, the effect of annealing on PL efficiency can vary depending on the material. In some cases, annealing can greatly improve the PL efficiency, while in others it may have little to no effect. It is important to carefully consider the material properties and the desired outcome before choosing to anneal a material for PL efficiency improvement.

5. What are some potential applications of using annealing to improve PL efficiency?

Annealing can be a useful tool for improving the PL efficiency of materials in various applications. For example, it can be used to enhance the performance of light-emitting devices, such as LEDs or lasers, by increasing the efficiency of light emission. It can also be used in the development of more efficient solar cells, as well as in photodetectors and other optoelectronic devices that rely on PL. Additionally, annealing can be beneficial in studying the energy levels and electronic properties of materials through PL spectroscopy.