Norway to play on artificial grass

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of artificial grass made from plastics in the Norwegian Football Association's national arena, Ullevaal Stadion. The speaker shares their negative opinion on the use of this type of turf due to potential injuries and lack of grip. They also mention their personal strategy for playing on indoor soccer fields with artificial turf.
kasse
I don't know if "artificial grass" is the correct term, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Grass made from plastics. The Norwegian Football Association has decided that from 2008 the national arena Ullevaal Stadion will be the first national arena in the world with artificial grass. What's your opinion here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a lot of pain to me seeing as European footballers (as compared to American football) play in shorts... Falling on Astroturf, ouch!

Last edited:
Is this a method of population control? I assume that Norweeds don't grow in plastic.

kasse said:
I don't know if "artificial grass" is the correct term, but I'm sure you know what I mean. Grass made from plastics. The Norwegian Football Association has decided that from 2008 the national arena Ullevaal Stadion will be the first national arena in the world with artificial grass. What's your opinion here?

I've never liked it. There will be more knee injuries. Indoor soccer is always played on artificial turf (in a hockey size arena). I won't wear new shoes when I play. They grip the surface to well and there's no give. I always wear old shoes with some wear on the tread. If your feet don't slip at least a little bit when you pivot, it puts more strain on your knee.

1. What are the benefits of playing on artificial grass in Norway?

Playing on artificial grass in Norway has several benefits, including a more consistent playing surface, lower maintenance costs, and the ability to play in all weather conditions. It also reduces the risk of injuries and can help with water conservation.

2. Is playing on artificial grass safe for players in Norway?

Yes, playing on artificial grass in Norway is safe for players. The synthetic turf is designed to minimize the risk of injuries, and proper installation and maintenance can further ensure the safety of players.

3. How does playing on artificial grass affect the environment in Norway?

Artificial grass in Norway has a positive impact on the environment. It requires less water and chemicals to maintain compared to natural grass, reducing the use of resources and potential pollution. It also does not require mowing, which reduces carbon emissions and noise pollution.

4. Can the ball roll properly on artificial grass in Norway?

Yes, the ball can roll properly on artificial grass in Norway. The surface is designed to have a consistent and even level, allowing for a smooth and predictable ball roll.

5. How does playing on artificial grass affect the game in Norway?

Playing on artificial grass in Norway can slightly affect the game compared to natural grass. The ball may bounce slightly differently, and players may need some time to adjust to the surface. However, overall, the game is not significantly impacted, and players can still perform at a high level.