Proving ageing effects on brain through synthesia trends: A High-School Science Fair

In summary, the author is testing for grapheme synesthesia, which is when people hear colors when they see black and white symbols. She is looking for participants, and is grateful for any who want to participate.
Burunduk
Hello all,

I am doing a high-school grade science fair on the effects of aging on synesthesia. Well, at least that's what it tests, but in reality, it's the other way around, almost. Synesthesia, while, indeed, being a genetic condition, is a condition of the brain. Therefore, if the brain is in bad shape, it will show on the synesthesetic experience of the aging individual. Effectively, if the overall trends for synesthesia decrease as the age group increases, the brain does, indeed degenerate as it gets older. And that is what I want to prove.

I am testing for the second most-common condition, grapheme synesthesia. It's when the brain interperates black&white symbols as being colored.

the vrrc said:
In my case, my eyes literally try to tell me that the letter e is green, even though it obviously is written in black right here. It's great fun. Also can watch songs. Have no shame in bragging about it.

I have the feeling that there are things wrong with this experiment, but I'm far too into it to change it at this stage. I do, however really, really need some participants to take the test. It's really quick and simple. Please click on the link I will provide to you below, read the accompanying instructions, and, perhaps, take the 15-second test. I'd be most grateful.

Grapheme Synthesia Test
"The purpose of my project is to prove that the brain degrades with age. I will do that by measuring the trends towards synthesia present in different age groups."​

Brief Abstract​
Synesthesia, poetically speaking is a union of the senses. It is when the brain interperates input from one sense as additional input from another. You, hear color, taste music, smell words.

"The abnormal character of synesthesia is sufficiently demonstrated by the ability of synesthetes to report nearly identical associations after the lapse of one year (achieving a 92% accuracy rate), versus a matched control group's inability to obtain a similar result after only one week (achieving a 38% accuracy rate)..."

Synesthesia and Method
Kevin B. Korb

Synesthesia is an anomaly that occurs in about 1 person out of 23. It's not imagination, no, it's a transformation information goes through in the limbic system, before it ever gets to the cerebrum. It's a “left-over” from babyhood, when your brain was not fully formed and organized; it received information from one sense and juxtaposed it with another, which, by the way, did help with your development. In some people, that trait, or some parts of, was left even after they grew up.

An example of a famous person with such a trait would be Richard Feynman. Very famous physicist of the mid-twentieth century, he was part of the team that designed and built the first atomic bomb. You probably heard of him, read his works, too, quite likely. This trait, this way in which he saw the world, might've just played a part in his genius. Why do you think we humans like metaphors so much? Why do we like describing one sense with adjectives of another? Sharp cheese, putrid color, even the phrase “I see what you're saying,” these all appeal to you because they were a part of how you saw the world when you were very young. To some, this is still the case. Synesthesia, is when the brain sub-consciously, almost on the motion level, associates one sense with another. A synesthesist might... hear colors, or see colored symbols where we would see but black and white, or he might even associate personalities with concepts such as months, letters, and notes. It's a way one experiences the world.

Thank you, I really appreciate this! :)
Burunduk

Biology news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at your test yet, but do you only want people who believe they are synaesthetes to participate, or do you need "normal" controls too?

Dear Burunduk,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It is very interesting to see someone exploring the effects of aging on synesthesia in a high-school science fair. Your project has the potential to shed light on the connection between the brain and synesthesia, and it is great that you are passionate about your research.

I think your hypothesis that the trends towards synesthesia will decrease with age is a valid one. As you mentioned, synesthesia is a condition of the brain, and it is possible that as the brain ages and degenerates, it may affect the synesthetic experience. Your use of the grapheme synesthesia test to measure the presence of synesthesia in different age groups is a good approach to testing your hypothesis.

However, I do have some concerns about your experiment. Firstly, it is important to consider the limitations of self-reporting in your test. People may interpret or report their synesthetic experiences differently, which could affect the accuracy of your results. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a control group of non-synesthetes to compare your results to, in order to better understand the impact of aging on synesthesia.

Overall, I think your project has great potential and I encourage you to continue researching and exploring this topic. Best of luck with your science fair!

What is synthesia?

Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.

What are the effects of ageing on the brain?

As we age, our brains go through a natural process of decline. This can include changes in memory, cognitive function, and sensory perception. It can also lead to an increased risk of developing conditions such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease.

How can synthesia be used to study ageing effects on the brain?

Synesthesia provides a unique opportunity to study the ageing brain because it involves multiple sensory pathways. By analyzing trends in synesthesia among different age groups, we can gain insight into how the brain changes with age.

What methods can be used to prove ageing effects on the brain through synthesia trends?

One method could be to conduct a survey or experiment with individuals of different ages to compare their experiences of synesthesia. Another method could be to analyze existing data on synesthesia and age to identify any correlations or patterns.

What are the potential implications of this study for understanding ageing and brain function?

Studying ageing effects on the brain through synthesia trends can provide valuable insights into the ageing process and how it affects brain function. This knowledge can help in identifying potential treatments or interventions for age-related cognitive decline and diseases. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the brain and how it changes over time.