Polarisation on the surface of a sphere

In summary, the question asks about the total charge in a sphere with a polarisation at the surface. To calculate this, Gauss's law for a dielectric must be applied, taking into account the formation of bound charges due to the collection of dipoles. Additional resources for understanding this concept include "The Influence of Matter on the Electric Field" and Chapter 4 of "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J Griffiths.
squiggles0
I am trying to answer a question that states:
There is a sphere of radius R centred at the origin with a polarisation P = C(xi+yi+zk), where C is a constant, at the surface. What is the total charge in the sphere if there is no net charge?

I know that P= Nqd where N is the number of charges, q is the charge on each one, and d is the separation distance in the dipoles. But I do not see how to relate this to the sphere in the question. I do not know of any individual charges in the sphere or of any dipoles, or should I be taking these as atoms?
Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
squiggles0 said:
I am trying to answer a question that states:
There is a sphere of radius R centred at the origin with a polarisation P = C(xi+yi+zk), where C is a constant, at the surface. What is the total charge in the sphere if there is no net charge?

I know that P= Nqd where N is the number of charges, q is the charge on each one, and d is the separation distance in the dipoles. But I do not see how to relate this to the sphere in the question. I do not know of any individual charges in the sphere or of any dipoles, or should I be taking these as atoms?
Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

The collection of dipoles leads to formation of bound charges on the surface and within the material.

So, to calculate the total charge, you need to apply Gauss's law for a dielectric.

For additional material try,
- http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/polariza.htm - The influence of matter on the electric field
- Chapter 4 (3rd edition), Introduction to Electrodynamics, David J Griffiths

Last edited:

What is polarisation on the surface of a sphere?

Polarisation on the surface of a sphere refers to the distribution of charges on the surface of a spherical object. This phenomenon occurs when an electric field is applied to a sphere, causing the charges on the surface to align in a particular direction.

How does polarisation on the surface of a sphere occur?

Polarisation on the surface of a sphere occurs due to the orientation of the molecules present on the surface. When an electric field is applied, the molecules will rotate in a certain direction causing one side of the sphere to become positively charged and the other side to become negatively charged.

What factors affect the degree of polarisation on the surface of a sphere?

The degree of polarisation on the surface of a sphere is affected by the strength of the electric field, the dielectric constant of the material, and the shape and size of the sphere. A stronger electric field, higher dielectric constant, and bigger sphere will result in a higher degree of polarisation.

What are the applications of polarisation on the surface of a sphere?

Polarisation on the surface of a sphere has various applications in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and materials science. It is used to create capacitors, filters, and other electronic components. It is also used in the production of polarised lenses for sunglasses and in the study of material properties.

How is polarisation on the surface of a sphere measured?

Polarisation on the surface of a sphere can be measured using techniques such as polarimetry, which measures the rotation of polarised light passing through the sphere. It can also be measured indirectly by calculating the electric field strength at different points on the surface and determining the direction of the electric dipoles.