Parts for Project: Finding What You Need for Success

In summary: Or maybe some type of glue that would keep the marbles together once the spring is pulled?In summary, the researcher is looking for advice on what hardware to use to create a simple research project. They are considering using a ballpoint pen mechanism to hold the spring compressed and the marbles shot out. They are also considering using glue or a stronger spring to keep the marbles together.
FSTg16
First, hello all! Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (or wrong site, even), but I'm not sure where else to go, and I stumbled upon here doing some research (for project ideas). Feel free to delete this if it's off-topic.

I am building a simple research project, and need some help choosing the right hardware to get things going. Essentially, I have two marbles held together by a spring. The spring is held compressed by something, and that's tied to the base by a taut string (or similar). When the marbles are hit with something and moved, the string will "pull" the mechanism holding the spring compressed and the two marbles will shoot out.

There's a link at the bottom of this post to a horrible drawing of what I need. Blue = thing that holds the spring compressed. What would you guys recommend that I use to hold the spring compressed that could easily be pulled out? Also, where could I find small springs and whatever I use to hold it compressed? Do general hardware stores carry things like that?

Again, sorry for the horrible explanations (and the off-topic-ness). Feel free to delete if it's cluttering up these forums. I just wanted to see if anyone here has had similar experiences in the past and has advice to give.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9622/sketchde1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could mount the setup to a wooden base. Drill a hole in the base and have a dowel rod stick out attached to a metal u-shaped bracket as in your drawing. The base could be propped up onto two other pieces of wood allowing access to the underside of the base where you could pull down on the dowel rod releasing the tension in the springs. Ghetto, but just a starting point.
edit- springs can be found at a hardware store, or you can make some on a lathe.

Tie the spring up with some string. Burn the string to release the spring. Reverse engineering (taking things apart) can provide one with some springs.

I like the dowel rod idea (and especially the burning string...that's pretty awesome), but I actually won't be controlling when the spring is released. I need the marbles to split whenever something hits it (from any angle). That's why I was thinking about tying the "compressor" to the board so it would pull it out when moved, but I haven't found anything allowing me to do that yet.

I would also need to have the spring "stick" to the marbles somehow (to hold them together), but would need them to be able to split apart when the spring is expanded.

I'm thinking this project may not work after all. :(

Have a look at the mechanism on ball point pens with the little protrusion at the side that one pushes on to make the point exit from the tube. See if you can adapt it to your project. Maybe insert a stronger spring?

1. What types of parts are needed for a project?

The types of parts needed for a project can vary greatly depending on the specific project and its requirements. Some common types of parts used in projects include electrical components, mechanical parts, hardware, tools, and consumables.

2. Where can I find the parts I need for my project?

There are several places where you can find the parts you need for your project. These include online retailers, local hardware stores, specialty stores, and even salvage yards. It is important to research and compare prices and availability before making a purchase.

3. How do I determine the quality of the parts I am purchasing?

The quality of parts can greatly impact the success of a project. One way to determine the quality is by researching the brand and reading reviews from other customers. Additionally, checking for certifications or standards that the part meets can also indicate its quality.

4. Can I substitute parts in my project if I can't find the exact one I need?

In some cases, it may be possible to substitute parts in a project if you are unable to find the exact one you need. However, it is important to carefully consider the specifications and compatibility of the substitute part to ensure it will not negatively affect the project's performance or safety.

5. How do I ensure I have all the necessary parts for my project?

To ensure you have all the necessary parts for your project, it is important to carefully plan and create a detailed list of all required components. You can also seek advice from experts or consult project manuals and guides for a comprehensive list of parts needed.