Can I Contract Oral Herpes By Sharing a Bottle?

• Thread starter Flying Penguin
  • Start date
In summary, sharing a bottle or cup with someone who is infected with oral herpes can increase your chances of contracting the virus. However, direct contact or sharing personal items such as razors or towels is a more common form of transmission. It is also important to note that approximately 50% of teenagers and 85% of adults have been exposed to the virus, making it a common infection. Therefore, it is important to practice caution and avoid direct contact with individuals who have visible lesions. Additionally, washing clothes together with someone who is infected is not a significant risk for transmission as the virus is fragile and can be easily destroyed by detergents.
Flying Penguin
Can one contract oral herpes by sharing a bottle (or cup) with someone who's infected?

Biology news on Phys.org
In other words if your partner gets cold sores, dump them. :-)

ukmicky said:
In other words if your partner gets cold sores, dump them. :-)

Since 50% of teenagers have positive antibodies to HSV-1 and climbs to 85% by age 50 in the general population, that pretty much limits your playing field.:biggrin: (AND DON'T forget 70% of the time someone with HSV can shed the virus and infect others without any visible lesions!)

What about washing clothes together with the clothes of someone infected? (underwear too)

Flying Penguin said:
What about washing clothes together with the clothes of someone infected? (underwear too)

no the herpes virus is too fragile to survive such a bashing:smile:

the detergent used in the wash should be pretty damaging to the proteins on the virus.

1. Can I contract oral herpes by sharing a bottle with someone who has the virus?

Yes, it is possible to contract oral herpes by sharing a bottle with someone who has the virus. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) can be transmitted through saliva, so sharing items that come into contact with the mouth, such as bottles or utensils, can increase the risk of transmission.

2. How likely is it to contract oral herpes from sharing a bottle?

The likelihood of contracting oral herpes from sharing a bottle depends on a variety of factors, including the health and immune system of the person sharing the bottle, the amount of virus present in the saliva, and the amount of contact between the saliva and the other person's mouth or mucous membranes. It is generally considered a low risk, but still possible.

3. Can I contract oral herpes from a shared beverage if the person does not have visible sores?

Yes, it is still possible to contract oral herpes from a shared beverage even if the person does not have visible sores. HSV-1 can be transmitted even when there are no visible symptoms present, as the virus can still be present in the saliva.

4. Can I prevent contracting oral herpes from sharing a bottle?

Yes, there are steps you can take to decrease the risk of contracting oral herpes from sharing a bottle. These include not sharing items that come into contact with the mouth, such as bottles or utensils, and practicing good hygiene by regularly washing your hands and avoiding touching your mouth and face.

5. What should I do if I think I may have contracted oral herpes from sharing a bottle?

If you believe you may have contracted oral herpes from sharing a bottle, it is important to seek medical advice and get tested. While there is no cure for herpes, there are treatments available to manage symptoms and reduce the risk of transmission to others.