How does Faraday's Law apply to changing magnetic flux?

In summary, Faraday's law states that a change in magnetic flux in a certain area in space will induce a current, with the direction of the current determined by the right hand rule. This law always holds, even for non-conservative systems, and is comparable to one of Newton's laws in classical mechanics. The change in magnetic field can be determined by considering the strength and orientation of the magnet, as well as the movement of the magnet towards the ring. This change in flux density is the basis for how generators function.
Winzer
Ok so we are studying Faradays law right now and am a little confused. I will try and state my understanding of it, please correct of wrong.

If we have a change in magnetic flux in a certain area in space there is an induced current. This current must obvoiusly come from an electric field whos direction comes from the right hand rule , the thumb point opposite to the direction of change in the magnetic field and curls.

But there are a number of things that elude me:
1) Faradays law always hold-->>even for non conservative system, how and why?
2) How exactly do you determin change in B?
For example if I have a magnet pointing north and move it towards a ring at a nonuniform velocity, the ring is facing the magnet through its opening, is there a change in B?
How about at different orientations of the magnet? This is where am just beyond confused, especially with different oreintations.

Are there any books/supplements you guys can recommend? In desperate need.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Holy Cow nothing yet!?

Winzer said:
Holy Cow nothing yet!?

Well, apparently it was a big party weekend at many universities this weekend... I wasn't invited, so that's not my excuse, however :rolleyes:

I'll try to answer a part of your question -- The B field diverges as it traces away from a permanent magnet, so Yes, as you move a permanent magnet closer to a ring, the B field cutting through the area of the ring increases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet

So moving a permanent magnet closer to a metallic ring will induce a current in that ring.

Faraday's law is one of the four Maxwell's equations. Its place in the theory of electromagnetism is thus comparable to one of Newton's laws in classical mechanics. So it always holds.

You have to consider why and if the flux changes in a particular situation. It could be because the field strength changes in time, or because you move the ring through a nonuniformmagnetic field, or because the loop bounding the surface is changing shape.

Well the answer of the question "How the magnetic field changes?" is this that the magnetic field around any magnet or around any charge particle depends upon the strength of the charge or magnet. As we move away from the magnet the field becomes weaker so when a magnet brings close to coil then obiviously there will be change in magnetic field

Winzer said:
But there are a number of things that elude me:
1) Faradays law always hold-->>even for non conservative system, how and why?
Not sure what you mean by that question, sorry.

2) How exactly do you determin change in B?
For example if I have a magnet pointing north and move it towards a ring at a nonuniform velocity, the ring is facing the magnet through its opening, is there a change in B?
How about at different orientations of the magnet? This is where am just beyond confused, especially with different oreintations.

Think of the flux density. Picture the old high school iron magnet with the filings sprinkled around it. The more lines the higher the density. As you move the magent towards the ring, whether uniform or not, the number of flux lines intersecting the ring changes. Increasing or decreasing depending on direction of travel and orientation.

Specifically about orientation: The magnet doesn't even have to move towards the ring. Just imagine a standard bar magnet spinning in place with first one pole facing the ring, then a side, then the other pole, then the other side and back to the first pole. As the flux density is higher at the poles than the long sides (same flux, spread over a larger area) then B will float up and down across the ring as the magnet spins. It's the basis for how generators function.

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's Law of Induction, is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. Who is Michael Faraday and why is this law named after him?

Michael Faraday was a British scientist who made significant contributions to the fields of physics and chemistry in the 19th century. He is credited with the discovery of electromagnetic induction, upon which Faraday's Law is based. This law was named after him to honor his pioneering work in this area.

3. How does Faraday's Law relate to electric generators?

Faraday's Law is the principle behind the operation of electric generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. As a coil of wire rotates in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux through the coil induces an electric current, which can be harnessed for various applications.

4. What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law are two closely related laws that describe the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. While Faraday's Law states the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field, Lenz's Law states the direction of the induced current in response to the changing magnetic field. In other words, Lenz's Law helps determine the polarity of the induced EMF.

5. How is Faraday's Law applied in everyday life?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is the basis for the operation of electric generators, which provide us with electricity for various purposes. It is also used in technologies such as transformers, electric motors, and induction cooktops. Additionally, Faraday's Law is used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, which rely on electromagnetic induction to create images of internal body structures.