Understanding Lift Generation and Investigating Results

• Thread starter Browncoat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary, the author has just finished an investigation into lift and angle of attack. He recorded airspeed readings over the top and bottom of the wing at the leading and trailing edges and found that lift was acting contrary to what one would expect. He also noticed that the high cambered aerofoil stalled later than the symmetrical aerofoil.
Browncoat
I've just finished the practical part of an investigation into lift and angle of attack. I also took airspeed readings over the top and bottom of the wing at the leading and trailing edges.

What I'm having trouble with is grasping how lift is generated. I understand the underlying principles (both Newtonian and Bernoullian), but cannot quite understand why the airflow is turned by the aerofoil (apparently effects due to the Coanda Effect and the Continuity Equation are wrong).

Further, I'm having slight problems with my results. I recorded the airspeed readings and noted that the airspeed over the top of the wing was generally faster than below, contrary to how lift should be generated, yet lift was acting anyway. Is this possible? Or have I made an error in measurements (you have to understand that my setup was unbelievably crude - I hadn't access to a real wind tunnel and was working with a fan, a box and a set of scales).

Finally, I had also noticed that the high cambered aerofoil seemed to stall later than the symmetrical aerofoil. I put this down to the fact that the leading edge of the high-camber aerofoil stayed nearer the stagnation line, but I have no idea if this is right or not.

Help with any of the above points would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, lift is due to circulation. Circulation will occur in flow over an airfoil because of flow separation, which occurs due to a stagnation point near the back end of the airfoil.

Try playing around with this website: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foilsimu.html. You can learn a lot by fiddling around with it.

Thanks a lot for your help. I needed a bit more of a layman's explanation, but I found http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/airfoil/airfoil.html" that cleared everything up (and what you said made suddenly so much more sense, because I hadn't fully understood circulation before).

Finally! No more mucking around with this Coanda/Venturi Effect nonsense.

For future reference of anyone looking for similar things, the above website was extremely useful, coupled with http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is lift and how is it generated?

Lift is a force that acts perpendicular to the flow of air around an object. It is generated by differences in air pressure above and below the object. This pressure difference is caused by the object's shape and angle of attack.

2. What factors affect lift generation?

The factors that affect lift generation include the shape and angle of attack of the object, the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the surrounding air, and the size of the object's surface area.

3. How do wings create lift?

Wings create lift by using a curved shape to redirect air flowing over the top of the wing. This creates a higher velocity and lower pressure on the top of the wing, resulting in a pressure difference and lift force.

4. How do scientists investigate and measure lift?

Scientists use various methods such as wind tunnels, computer simulations, and mathematical equations to investigate and measure lift. They use instruments such as pressure sensors and force balances to collect data on air pressure and lift forces.

5. What are some applications of understanding lift generation?

Understanding lift generation has many practical applications, including designing more efficient and aerodynamic vehicles such as airplanes and cars. It is also important in sports such as skiing, cycling, and bobsledding, where minimizing air resistance and maximizing lift can improve performance.