Torque and Power (looks pretty simple)

In summary, a 225kW industrial motor can generate a torque of 504 Nm at an angular speed of 446 rad/s. When attached to a 0.660 m diameter drum, the motor can lift a maximum weight of approximately 156 kg at a constant speed of 147 m/s. However, this solution may not be entirely realistic due to the use of massless cables and a small drum size.
odie5533

Homework Statement

(a) Compute the torque developed by an industrial motor whose output is 225kW at an angular speed of 4260 RPM. (b) A drum with negligible mass, 0.660 m in diameter, is attached to the motor shaft and the power output of the motor is used to raise the weight hanging from the drum. How heavy can the motor lift at a constant speed? (c) At what constant speed will the weight rise?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\omega = 4260 rev/min * \frac{2\pi}{60} = 446 rad/s[/tex]
(a)[tex]P = \tau\omega[/tex]
[tex]\tau = \frac{P}{\omega} = \frac{225000}{446} = 504 Nm[/tex]
(b) This is where I got confused. I'm not sure how to figure this out. The only thing I could think of was [tex]v = r\omega = (0.660 m)(446 rad/s) = 294 m/s[/tex]. But that doesn't answer the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* I thought of something:
[tex]\tau = Fl[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{\tau}{l} = \frac{504 Nm}{0.660 m} = 764N[/tex]
[tex]m = 764 / 9.81 = 77.9 kg[/tex]

77.9 kg moving at 294 m/s.. that sounds incredibly wrong.

I think I'm going about this wrong. Putting a max weight on motor would use up a lot of the power, so it would go really slow, if not just be able to keep the weight from falling. I really don't understand this one at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
odie5533 said:
(a)[tex]P = \tau\omega[/tex]
[tex]\tau = \frac{P}{\omega} = \frac{225000}{446} = 504 Nm[/tex]

This seems to be fine.

[tex]\tau = Fl[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{\tau}{l} = \frac{504 Nm}{0.660 m} = 764N[/tex]
[tex]m = 764 / 9.81 = 77.9 kg[/tex]

Be careful: if [tex]l[/tex] is the moment arm for the torque, that will be the radius of the drum. The mass will be twice that much.

The linear velocity of the edge of the drum would be (0.33 m)·(446 rad/sec) = 147 m/sec.

Well, let's see if this is remotely credible as an answer. Raising 156 kg at 147 m/sec would require a power of

P = mgv = (156 kg)·(9.81 m/(sec^2))·(147 m/sec) = 225,000 W.

So that does check. It sounds excessive, but recall that 225 kW = 302 horsepower. Consider how fast a '60s "muscle car", which easily massed over 1000 kg, could be pushed up to...

What is a bit unrealistic about this problem is that a motor that powerful used in a winch would not be doing lifting and hauling with massless cables and take-up drums. (I think the drum would also be a bit bigger than 2 ft. across...)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help on the problem, and the explanation of why it's possible, which really helped me understand this problem better. Thanks again!

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied.

What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done, or energy is transferred. It is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work.

How are torque and power related?

Torque and power are related through their units. Torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and power is measured in Watts (W). They are also related by the equation: Power = Torque x Angular velocity.

What is the difference between horsepower and torque?

Horsepower is a unit of power, while torque is a unit of force. Horsepower is a measure of the rate at which work is done, while torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate. They are related, but not interchangeable.

How is torque and power used in engineering and physics?

Torque and power are important concepts in engineering and physics, especially in the design and analysis of machines and mechanical systems. They are used to calculate the performance and efficiency of engines and motors, as well as to understand the forces and movements involved in rotational motion.