How Do You Calculate the Damping Constant in Damped Harmonic Motion?

In summary, the damping constant b can be calculated from the given data by using equations (1) and (2) and solving for b using the amplitude and initial displacement values.
Vuldoraq

Homework Statement

Hi all,

A hard boiled egg, with a mass m=51g, moves on the end of a spring, with force constant k=26N/m. It's initial displacement is 0.300m. A damping force F[tex]^{}x[/tex]=-bv[tex]^{}x[/tex] acts on the egg and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.106m in a time of 5.45s.

Calculate the magnitude of the damping constant b.

Homework Equations

(1) [tex]\omega[/tex]'=[tex]\sqrt{k/m-(b/2m)^2}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex]' is the damped angular frequency

(2) x(t)=Ae^(-bt/2m)cos([tex]\omega[/tex]'t) where x(t)=displacement, A=amplitude, t=time, e=natural exponential, w'=as above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot see how you can calculate the damping constant from the data given. Equation (1) above has two unknowns w' and b, while equation (2) has three x(t), b and w'.

I tried to rearrange equation (2) to get w' as the subject, but found I was unable to separate the variables. I also attempted setting w' as equal to [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex], but this gave the wrong answer too. I'm really just stabbing in the dark, so some help to understand how to go about it is what I need.

I must be missing something obvious and fundamental, for instance is there another way you can calculate [tex]\omega[/tex]' from the given data?

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. You are correct that there are two unknowns in equation (1) and three in equation (2), making it impossible to directly calculate the damping constant b. However, there are a few other equations that we can use to solve for b.

First, we can use the fact that the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.106m in a time of 5.45s. This means that after 5.45s, the displacement x(t) will be 0.106m. Plugging this into equation (2), we get:

0.106 = Ae^(-b*5.45/2m)cos(\omega'*5.45)

Next, we can use the fact that the initial displacement is 0.300m. Plugging this into equation (2), we get:

0.300 = Ae^(-b*0/2m)cos(\omega'*0)

Simplifying these equations, we get:

0.106 = Acos(\omega'*5.45)

0.300 = A

Now, we can solve for A in the second equation and plug it into the first equation, giving us:

0.106 = (0.300)cos(\omega'*5.45)

Solving for \omega', we get:

\omega' = 0.106/(0.300*cos(5.45)) = 0.209 rad/s

Finally, we can plug this value for \omega' into equation (1) and solve for b:

0.209 = \sqrt{k/m-(b/2m)^2}

b = 4.97 Ns/m

I hope this helps clarify how to calculate the damping constant b from the given data. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello,

You are correct that there are two unknowns in equation (1) and three in equation (2). However, we can use both equations to solve for the damping constant b.

We can start by rearranging equation (2) to solve for A:

A = x(t)e^(bt/2m)cos(w't)

Then, we can substitute this into equation (1):

w' = sqrt(k/m - (b/2m)^2) = sqrt(k/m - (b/2m)^2) * (x(t)e^(bt/2m)cos(w't))

Since we know the values for k, m, x(t), and t, we can solve for b:

b = 2m * sqrt(k/m - w'^2) / t

Now, we can use the values given in the problem to solve for b:

b = 2(0.051kg) * sqrt(26N/m - (0.106m/5.45s)^2) / 5.45s = 0.085 Ns/m

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, but the amplitude of the oscillation decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. This can be seen in systems such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

2. What causes damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is caused by the presence of a damping force, which is a force that opposes the motion of the system. This force can be due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or electrical resistance.

3. How is damped harmonic motion different from simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the amplitude of the oscillation remains constant over time. In damped harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force.

4. How is damping factor related to damped harmonic motion?

The damping factor is a measure of how quickly the amplitude of the oscillation decreases in damped harmonic motion. A higher damping factor indicates a faster decrease in amplitude, while a lower damping factor indicates a slower decrease.

5. How is damped harmonic motion relevant in real-world applications?

Damped harmonic motion is relevant in many real-world applications, such as in shock absorbers for cars, tuning forks, and musical instruments. It is also important in understanding the behavior of mechanical and electrical systems, and in designing systems that minimize the effects of damping.