Thread Display Mode: Newest First & Its Effects

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, Kurdt said that the default setting is to have the oldest posts first, which can break links when there is a long thread with multiple posts on the first page. He said that this can be fixed by changing the setting to have the newest posts first, but this requires changes to the vBulletin engine from Jelsoft.
Borek
Mentor
In my account settings I have Thread Display Mode set as Newest first. In most cases that means I don't have to scroll down to see newest post, as it sits already at top of the page. However, it breaks links to threads. For example, when there is loooong thread that spans across 10 pages, and in some other thread someone posted link to post on the 2nd page - I am displayed 8th page instead of the 2nd. This can be easily checked by switching between Newst first/Oldest first while following links from Evo's post here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72803

Physics news on Phys.org
There won't be any new posts in that thread as I just edit the exisiting posts when I update, which I am behind in updating.

Problem is not with your posts - but with the forum software. I have spotted that for the first time when someone mentioned picture posted in caption comptetion thread - but there was no picture at the page linked to. Trick is, I don't remember what post was that, and your posts were much easier to use to explain what is going on.

I need to do another run through and delete bad picture links again. <sigh> I need a helper.

Well of course the default is to have the oldest first which is what many (most?) people have, so when they post a link for a specific page in a thread then it will of course only make sense if everyone is ordering the posts in the same way. Take for example a two page thread and somebody links to the second page for some reason. The person with older posts first will get the newer posts on the second page and the person with newer posts first will get the older posts on the second page. I don't think there is anything that can be done about it really except for conforming with the majority or putting up with the annoyance.

Kurdt, being programmer for half of my life I perfectly understand what is happening. I am just reporting the issue.

I beleieve there several possible ways of dealing with the problem - apart from just ignoring it. Trick is, they will all require changes to the vBulletin engine, so it doesn't make sense to fight them just on PF, these are changes that Jelsoft should implement.

1. What is Thread Display Mode: Newest First?

Thread Display Mode: Newest First is a feature commonly found in online forums and discussion boards. It refers to the way in which comments and replies are organized, with the newest comments appearing at the top of the thread.

2. How does Thread Display Mode: Newest First affect the discussion?

This mode can greatly affect the flow and direction of a discussion. It allows for the most recent comments to be easily seen and responded to, potentially shifting the focus away from older comments. It also allows for the possibility of newer information or perspectives to be introduced, altering the course of the discussion.

3. What are the benefits of using Thread Display Mode: Newest First?

Using this mode can make it easier for users to stay up to date on the conversation and contribute in a timely manner. It can also help to keep discussions relevant and encourage active participation.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Thread Display Mode: Newest First?

One potential drawback is that it can make it difficult to follow the progression of the discussion. Older comments may get buried and not receive as much attention, leading to a lack of diversity in perspectives. It can also potentially create a bias towards newer comments and opinions.

5. Can Thread Display Mode: Newest First be changed or customized?

Yes, many forums and discussion boards allow users to choose their preferred display mode. Some may even allow for a combination of display modes, such as showing the newest comments first but also including a way to view the entire thread in chronological order.