Calculating Probability of Rolling a Number on a Biased 3-Sided Die

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a biased three sided die and the calculation of probability for rolling a number. The probability distribution is denoted by \rho = \begin{pmatrix} p_1 \\ p_2 \\ p_3 \end{pmatrix} and the probabilistic state after observing a "1" is \rho = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}. The use of Baye's law on conditional probability is also mentioned.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a biased three sided die. When trying to calculate the probability of rolling a number, we find that half of the time we're accurate, and the other half of the time we observe a random number 1 through 3 (uniformly distributed). I've calculated the probability distribution of observing a given number as [itex] \rho = \begin{pmatrix} p_1 \\ p_2 \\ p_3 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]. That is, the probability of rolling "i" is [itex] p_i, i=1,2,3 [/itex]. Now let's say that in an experiment I throw the three sided die, and a "1" appears. I need to write down the probabilistic state describing my knowledge of how the die lies after the observation.

Homework Equations

Perhaps Baye's law on conditional probability
[tex] P(a|b) = \frac{P(b|a)P(a)}{P(b)} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would imagine this is a one-liner, but I can't quite figure out how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like the answer would be something like:After observing a "1", the probabilistic state describing my knowledge of how the die lies is \rho = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.

1. What is a biased 3-sided die?

A biased 3-sided die is a type of die that has three sides, each with a different number, but the probabilities of rolling each number are not equal. This means that the die is more likely to land on one or more numbers than the others.

2. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a specific number on a biased 3-sided die?

To calculate the probability of rolling a specific number on a biased 3-sided die, you need to know the number of times that number appears on the die and the total number of sides on the die. The probability is calculated by dividing the number of times the specific number appears by the total number of sides on the die.

3. Can a biased 3-sided die have a probability of rolling a number that is greater than 1?

Yes, a biased 3-sided die can have a probability of rolling a number that is greater than 1. This is because the probabilities of rolling each number are not equal, so one or more numbers may have a higher chance of being rolled than others.

4. How can you tell if a 3-sided die is biased?

You can tell if a 3-sided die is biased by rolling it multiple times and recording the results. If one or more numbers appear significantly more often than the others, then the die is likely biased. Additionally, you can also look at the physical properties of the die, such as its weight distribution or unevenness of the sides, which can indicate bias.

5. How can you use the probability of a biased 3-sided die to your advantage?

You can use the probability of a biased 3-sided die to your advantage by knowing the probabilities of rolling each number and strategically placing bets or making decisions based on those probabilities. For example, if one number has a higher probability of being rolled, you may want to bet on that number more often. However, keep in mind that the outcomes of a die roll are still ultimately random, so it is not a guarantee of winning.