Energy in circular path with spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a spring attached to a circle at a distance R, with a mass attached that can move freely in a circular path. The first part of the conversation involves calculating the velocity of the mass at point a when released from point b. The second part asks for the spring constant needed to prevent the mass from reaching point c. The potential energy of the spring can be calculated using the length of the spring and the gravitational potential energy at point b. The second part can be solved by equating the kinetic energy at point b to the potential energy at point c.
edowuks
We have a spring that has equilibrium at distance R. the spring is attached at horizontal distance R from circle (R is distance from edge of circle, distance from circles origo is 2R) that has radius R. Mass attached to spring can move freely in that circle path. In circle we have 3 points a=point where spring is at rest. B=at angle pi/2 C=opposite side of spring than the point a. (sorry I don't have picture and my english is bad).
A) calculate velocity at point a when spring is released from point b (at picture we have on paper we can see that at point b it has gravitational potential energy of mgR)
B) How hight should the spring constant be that mass never reachess point c

Ok I have banged my head to wall two days, I cannot figure what should I calculate here. Can I just calculate the A part by 'potential of spring'+mgR=½mv² (can potential of spring be calculated from length of pring-R). B-part I don't understand what should I calculate, but with my poor explanation I think no-one can give any hint?

I don't need anykind of solution just hint what I should be calculating, can't picture the problem in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
edowuks said:
We have a spring that has equilibrium at distance R. the spring is attached at horizontal distance R from circle (R is distance from edge of circle, distance from circles origo is 2R) that has radius R. Mass attached to spring can move freely in that circle path. In circle we have 3 points a=point where spring is at rest. B=at angle pi/2 C=opposite side of spring than the point a. (sorry I don't have picture and my english is bad).
A) calculate velocity at point a when spring is released from point b (at picture we have on paper we can see that at point b it has gravitational potential energy of mgR)
B) How hight should the spring constant be that mass never reachess point c

Ok I have banged my head to wall two days, I cannot figure what should I calculate here. Can I just calculate the A part by 'potential of spring'+mgR=½mv² (can potential of spring be calculated from length of pring-R). B-part I don't understand what should I calculate, but with my poor explanation I think no-one can give any hint?

I don't need anykind of solution just hint what I should be calculating, can't picture the problem in my head.

The potential in your spring is = ½*k*Δx2 and as you point out that plus drop in height m*g*R will result in your ½*mv2.

Your Δx here can be found by ordinary geometry.

For part 2 you know the KE at b so for the mass to make it to c, which by your description is at the same level as b then there is no need to account for any change in potential energy, so ½*k*(2R)2 = the KE when it was at b.

Last edited:

I would begin by breaking down the problem into smaller parts and identifying relevant equations and variables.

For part A, we are looking to calculate the velocity of the mass at point a when released from point b. We can use the conservation of energy principle, where the initial potential energy (gravitational potential energy mgR) is converted into kinetic energy (½mv²) at point a. So yes, your approach of setting the potential energy equal to the kinetic energy is correct. However, we also need to consider the potential energy of the spring, which can be calculated using Hooke's Law: potential energy of spring = ½kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. Since the spring is at rest at point a, the displacement x would be R. Therefore, our equation would be: mgR + ½kR² = ½mv². We can rearrange this to solve for v, which would give us the velocity at point a.

For part B, we need to determine the spring constant required for the mass to never reach point c. This means that at point c, the kinetic energy of the mass should be equal to the potential energy of the spring. So, we can set the kinetic energy at point c (½mv²) equal to the potential energy of the spring (½kx²), where x is now the distance between point c and the equilibrium position of the spring (which is 2R). Again, we can rearrange this equation to solve for k, which would give us the required spring constant.

It is important to note that these calculations assume ideal conditions, with no friction or other external forces acting on the system. In a real-world scenario, these factors would need to be taken into consideration. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction.

1. What is the relationship between energy and a circular path with a spring?

The energy in a circular path with a spring is related to the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the object moving in a circular path. As the object moves closer to the center of the circle, the potential energy of the spring decreases while the kinetic energy increases. This exchange of energy allows the object to maintain a circular path.

2. How does the spring constant affect the energy in a circular path with a spring?

The spring constant, represented by the variable k, determines the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring. In a circular path with a spring, a higher spring constant will result in a stiffer spring, which will require more energy to compress or stretch. This means that a higher spring constant will result in a higher potential energy and kinetic energy in the circular path.

3. Can energy be lost in a circular path with a spring?

In an ideal scenario, where there is no external friction or resistance, energy will not be lost in a circular path with a spring. This is because the energy is constantly being exchanged between potential and kinetic energy, resulting in a continuous cycle. However, in real-world situations, energy can be lost due to external factors such as air resistance or friction in the spring itself.

4. How does the amplitude of the circular path affect the energy in a spring?

The amplitude, or the maximum displacement from equilibrium, affects the energy in a circular path with a spring by determining the maximum potential energy and kinetic energy of the system. A larger amplitude will result in a higher potential energy and kinetic energy, while a smaller amplitude will result in lower energy levels.

5. Can the energy in a circular path with a spring be calculated?

Yes, the energy in a circular path with a spring can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kx^2, where E represents energy, k represents the spring constant, and x represents the displacement from equilibrium. This equation takes into account both the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the object in motion.