Is it Possible to Transfer All Momentum in Billiards?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to billiards and the kinetic energy of Staten Island. The first question deals with whether the cue ball can transfer all of its momentum to the ball it hits, while the second question asks for a comparison between the kinetic energy of Staten Island and an atomic bomb. The expert suggests researching elastic and inelastic collisions, using conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations, and finding reliable sources for parameters and energy released from an atomic bomb. The expert also notes the importance of considering the reference frame when calculating the kinetic energy of Staten Island. Finally, the expert declines to provide further assistance due to the nature of the questions.
kidprince777
Hello, i an new and i need help with two questions.
1) In billiards(pool), is it possible for the cue ball, when struck, to stop and transfer all the momentum to the ball it hit? If yes, why does it stop??
2) Calculate the kinetic energy of Staten Island ( a city in new york) and compare it to an atomic bomb
Please be detailed and understandable, and provide links if possible..Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org

For 1) I would look up elastic and inelastic collisions and make sure I had a thorough understanding of them. Decide which collision describes better a billiards collision. Use conservation of momentum and maybe conservation of KE as appropriate.

For 2) Use your relevant equations and find a reliable source for your parameters and the energy released from an atomic bomb explosion.

The kinetic energy depends on the reference frame. You have to know(decide) in respect to what.
Do they mean Staten Island as a single object, moving around the Sun with the Earth and also spinning around the axis? Or maybe as a collection of objects moving around? This last one will be some sort of "internal energy".

i had to post for namesake. i would help you "but it sounds like homework" so i cant. :biggrin:

It wouldn't transfer all of the energy to the ball as some of the energy would be wasted; some energy would be transferred to sound/heat...

1. What is the basic concept of billiards physics?

Billiards physics is the study of how the physical properties of billiard balls, cues, and table affect the movement and interactions of these objects during gameplay. It involves the principles of mechanics, such as force, momentum, and friction, to explain the dynamics of billiards.

2. How does spin affect the path of the ball in billiards?

Spin, also known as English, is when the cue ball is hit off-centre, causing it to rotate as it moves. This rotation creates a frictional force between the ball and the table, altering its trajectory. Topspin causes the ball to travel further, while backspin causes it to slow down and spin backwards. Sidespin can also make the ball curve in a specific direction.

3. What is the role of elasticity in billiards?

Elasticity, or the ability of an object to deform and then return to its original shape, is crucial in billiards. When the cue ball hits another ball, both balls deform slightly, storing energy. This energy is then released, causing the balls to move away from each other. The more elastic the balls, the more energy they can transfer, resulting in faster and more accurate shots.

4. How do collisions between balls work in billiards?

Collision between billiard balls follows the law of conservation of momentum, where the total momentum before and after the collision remains constant. The cue ball transfers its momentum to the object ball, causing it to move. The angle of incidence (angle between the cue ball's path and the object ball's path) is equal to the angle of reflection (angle between the object ball's path and the table's cushion).

5. How does friction affect the roll of the ball in billiards?

Friction between the ball and the table's surface can slow down or redirect the ball's motion. The rougher the table surface, the more friction there is, causing the ball to roll slower and have less accuracy. Friction can also cause the ball to curve or swerve if there is a significant difference in the frictional forces on different sides of the ball.