IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode

In summary, Jack is looking for the IV curve for a General Electric BD-5 tunnel diode and has found some short datasheets but needs a more detailed curve. He asks if anyone knows where to find one or if he should just make one himself. Berkeman offers to let him use a curve tracer but Jack is too far away. Jack later updates that he was able to borrow a Keithley SourceMeter and has attached rough IV plots of two BD5 diodes and a BD4 diode for anyone who may find it useful.
jack b
Hi All

Anyone know where I might find the IV curve for a General Electric BD-5 tunnel diode? I have found a few short datasheets for the BD series, but I really need a curve.

Does anyone know where to find such a thing? Or should I just get the SourceMeter out and make one myself.

Thanks
Jack

Engineering news on Phys.org
jack b said:
Hi All

Anyone know where I might find the IV curve for a General Electric BD-5 tunnel diode? I have found a few short datasheets for the BD series, but I really need a curve.

Does anyone know where to find such a thing? Or should I just get the SourceMeter out and make one myself.

Thanks
Jack

I googled BD-5 tunnel diode, and got some hits. Here's one with a sketch of the curve:

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/REU/1999/reports/tyner/tyner.htm

from a report on some research.

It may be the most effective like you say to just sweep out the curve yourself. If you're in Silicon Valley, I have a curve tracer next to my lab bench that I could let you use...

Hi Berkeman

Sorry for the delay in replying, I ended up traveling home for christmas, so no internet.

Cheers for looking, but that doesn't really have the detail I need. And I'm a few thousand miles too far east to take up your generous offer to lend a curve tracer. I managed to borrow a good Keithley SourceMeter, so I'll just do the measurements back at the lab.

Thanks anyway
Jack

Side note: One of my first assignments at my work was sweep out the I-V curves for several zener diodes. We didn't have a curve tracer readily available, so I had to build a test jig using only a power supply and a resistor.

EDIT: OK, so I was replying to a post pushing some curvefitting software, which got deleted as spam, but I'll leave my post here as the info may be useful.
====================================================

Ignoring the fact that this thread has been dead for months, and the fact that a lorentzian fit to a badly-sketched curve without any values on it would be about as much use as a water soluble lifeboat, I do now have some useful data.

For anyone who's interested I did take appropriate data back in February. I thought I'd make it available to anyone who's searching the web for it.
I've attatched rough IV plots of two BD5 diodes and a BD4 diode, measured with a sourcemeter at room temperature. Usual disclamers apply (not all the diodes are the same, for all you know I'm incompetent etc. etc.)

Cheers
Jack

Attachments

• Diode IV curves.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 385

1. What is an IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode?

The IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode is a graphical representation of the relationship between the current (I) and the voltage (V) across the diode. It shows the behavior of the diode under different voltage and current conditions.

2. How is an IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode measured?

An IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode is measured by applying a varying voltage across the diode and measuring the resulting current using a multimeter. The voltage is changed in small increments and the corresponding current values are recorded to create the curve.

3. What information can be obtained from an IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode?

The IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode provides information about the diode's characteristics, such as its threshold voltage, forward and reverse breakdown voltages, and saturation current. It also shows the diode's non-linear behavior, which is important in understanding its applications.

4. How does the IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode differ from other diodes?

The IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode differs from other diodes in that it has a negative resistance region. This means that as the voltage increases, the current decreases. This is in contrast to other diodes, which exhibit a positive resistance region where the current increases as the voltage increases.

5. What are the applications of the IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode?

The IV curve of a BD-5 tunnel diode is used to understand the behavior of the diode and its applications. It is commonly used in high-frequency oscillators, amplifiers, and detectors due to its fast switching speed and low noise characteristics. It is also used in tunneling electron microscopy and other scientific instruments.