Will Electric Jet Ducted Fan Planes Be a Reality in Our Lifetime?

In summary: The AD-150 is an electric fan-powered ultralight aircraft that is designed for recreational use. It has a low wing and a single engine in tractor configuration. The aircraft has a gross weight of only . It is available in a kit form or as a complete ready-to-fly aircraft.In summary, the author is interested in building an aircraft using electric power and plans to use a combination of clay and wood for structural support. The author plans to use a "cold" jet to reduce drag in the wind tunnel.
That is all pretty much true. It would be something worth striving for to be sure, but it's not going to happen in our lifetime. This paper reminds me of this cartoon:

http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/images/miracle3.gif [Broken]

If we just get these super conductors...and then if we just get these super batteries...and then we just get these super high powered motors designed...For me, reading papers like that gets old pretty quick. I guess that's why I am in the engineering trenches and not doing pure research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
That is all pretty much true. It would be something worth striving for to be sure, but it's not going to happen in our lifetime. This paper reminds me of this cartoon:

http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/images/miracle3.gif [Broken]

If we just get these super conductors...and then if we just get these super batteries...and then we just get these super high powered motors designed...For me, reading papers like that gets old pretty quick. I guess that's why I am in the engineering trenches and not doing pure research.
I agree with that sentiment when the proposal requires brand new technology with which we have little experience in any field. I observe however, that relatively large jumps ahead occur when incremental developments of mature technologies occur in different fields, then the two merge and enable one another. Electric ducted fans w/ conventional motors have been around in niche applications for years. High power (conventional) electric motors have been in use in locomotive and ship propulsion for years. HTS has been around for twenty years now (and is about to go into a Navy propulsion system). The Air Force Research Laboratory has built and tested a 3MW, 15000RPM, 5.4 kW/kg HTS motor (slide 25 above). Finally the pay offs, as you noted above, are large. If this doesn't happen in my non-chain smoking lifetime then I'd suspect the certification and regulatory process and not the feasibility of the technology.

Airlines now claim they will stop emissions growth by 2020, and do a 50% emissions reduction industry wide by 2050 at the latest climate change spin fest. I don't see how, unless they go electric as discussed here, or get biofuels to work (which does little or nothing about cutting non CO2 emissions NOx, etc ).
http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/2009-09-22-01.htm

The aviation industry presented a paper outlining the industry’s commitment to three sequential targets.

1. Improving carbon efficiency with a 1.5% average annual improvement in fuel efficiency to 2020
2. Stabilizing emissions with carbon-neutral growth from 2020
3. Emissions reductions with a 50% absolute cut in emissions by 2050 compared to 2005

FredGarvin said:

[PLAIN]http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/images/miracle3.gif [Broken]

http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/27532/Electric-cars-planes-behind
GE apparently thinks E-Aviation is thirty years out.
[...] Pranav Patel, Chief Marketing Officer at GE Aviation Systems, says electric planes the size of 737s could be flying commercial routes by 2040 or 2045.

In fact, the electric evolution is already underway for conventional planes. “If you look at new jets such as Boeing’s Dreamliner and the Joint Strike Fighter, large portions of their systems are [already] electrified,” Patel says.

The next generation of commercial jets will have “more dynamic power management, allowing essentially a ‘SmartGrid on Aircraft,’ with open rotor types of high-efficiency jet engines,” according to Patel. The eventual goal is “electric propulsion zero-emission aircraft,” which will have an open-structure propulsion — so “when the plane becomes all electric, the motor will still have a propeller-type open-fan structure.”

So just how fast will these electric planes fly? As fast — or faster — than today’s conventional jets. “[Electric planes would be] no different than cars today,” says Patel. “Take the electric car and look at the torque and speed it gives you. It’s actually more torque than you get with a regular [gas-powered] engine.”

Granted, that’s not to say that the Chevy Volt is fully comparable to a 747. “The biggest difference between electric cars and electric planes is you need a significantly higher energy density storage system [for planes],” says Patel. “Weight is very important, because with planes you’re talking about the lift, as well as the range.”

In pursuit of that high density power, engineers who will soon be located at Electrical Power Integrated Systems (EPISCENTER), GE’s new electrical-power R&D center in Dayton, Ohio, are working on aircraft systems that will use solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) power, with lithium batteries as intermediate storage.

Here is EPISCENTER’s road map to electric commercial flight:

1. Shrink the on-board components of the plane to roughly one-third of their current weight and volume, (via advances in high power semiconductor devices ).

2. Migrate flight control systems away from hydraulic and into electro-mechanical, in order to integrate with electric propulsion systems.

3. Finalize SOFC fuel cell development. Batteries alone don’t have the power density required for long flights — but will remain an important link in the power chain.

4. Optimize high-speed superconducting motors to make the most efficient use of precious on-board power.

So will there someday be 747’s that run like the Chevy Volt? “Sure,” says Patel. “It’s all about energy-optimized aircraft. Some say 50 or 60 years down the road is aggressive, some say maybe not.”

And oh by the way, how about helicopters? “The short answer is Yes.”

I note Dayton is also the location where the https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2292842&postcount=14" was done.

<h2>1. Will electric jet ducted fan planes be able to fly as fast as traditional jet planes?</h2><p>It is possible for electric jet ducted fan planes to reach similar speeds as traditional jet planes. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed to improve the efficiency and power of electric propulsion systems.</p><h2>2. How will electric jet ducted fan planes be powered?</h2><p>Electric jet ducted fan planes will be powered by batteries or fuel cells. These power sources will need to be lightweight and have a high energy density in order to provide enough power for the plane to take off and fly for extended periods of time.</p><h2>3. What are the advantages of using electric jet ducted fan planes?</h2><p>Electric jet ducted fan planes have several advantages over traditional jet planes. They are more environmentally friendly as they produce zero emissions, they are quieter, and they have lower operating costs. They also have the potential to be more efficient and have longer range capabilities.</p><h2>4. What are the challenges in developing electric jet ducted fan planes?</h2><p>One of the main challenges in developing electric jet ducted fan planes is the development of lightweight and high-energy density power sources. Another challenge is creating efficient and powerful electric propulsion systems that can match the performance of traditional jet engines. Additionally, there are regulatory and infrastructure challenges that need to be addressed for the widespread use of electric planes.</p><h2>5. When can we expect to see electric jet ducted fan planes in commercial use?</h2><p>It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for the commercial use of electric jet ducted fan planes. However, there are already some prototypes and small-scale commercial electric planes in development. With advancements in technology and continued research, it is possible that we may see electric jet ducted fan planes in commercial use within the next decade.</p>

1. Will electric jet ducted fan planes be able to fly as fast as traditional jet planes?

It is possible for electric jet ducted fan planes to reach similar speeds as traditional jet planes. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research and development is needed to improve the efficiency and power of electric propulsion systems.

2. How will electric jet ducted fan planes be powered?

Electric jet ducted fan planes will be powered by batteries or fuel cells. These power sources will need to be lightweight and have a high energy density in order to provide enough power for the plane to take off and fly for extended periods of time.

3. What are the advantages of using electric jet ducted fan planes?

Electric jet ducted fan planes have several advantages over traditional jet planes. They are more environmentally friendly as they produce zero emissions, they are quieter, and they have lower operating costs. They also have the potential to be more efficient and have longer range capabilities.

4. What are the challenges in developing electric jet ducted fan planes?

One of the main challenges in developing electric jet ducted fan planes is the development of lightweight and high-energy density power sources. Another challenge is creating efficient and powerful electric propulsion systems that can match the performance of traditional jet engines. Additionally, there are regulatory and infrastructure challenges that need to be addressed for the widespread use of electric planes.

5. When can we expect to see electric jet ducted fan planes in commercial use?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for the commercial use of electric jet ducted fan planes. However, there are already some prototypes and small-scale commercial electric planes in development. With advancements in technology and continued research, it is possible that we may see electric jet ducted fan planes in commercial use within the next decade.